What is with youtube censorship?

hooked_on_trout

My gripe is aimed at youtube.... ALL THE GOOD MUSIC FILM CLIPS HAVE DISAPPEARED!!!

We get the music but not great clips, obviously the commercial lawyers have moved in, but to what effect?

Is this censorship in disguise? or just money hungry a-holes degrading what used to be a great browsing site.

Thumbs down to those that remove clips from the very media that gave them new popularity with new generations.

Cheers

hooked_on_trout wrote:

My gripe is aimed at youtube.... ALL THE GOOD MUSIC FILM CLIPS HAVE DISAPPEARED!!!

You mean all the FREE stuff is now being limited? YouTube are a provider, they are under no obligation to provide anything for free. Free is an awesome incentive, BUT it is not an entitlement.

Everything costs something. Who pays for the server farms, music videos, recording studios, etc?

Your taxes don't pay for it and your viewership has no inherent value for the service provider other than the opportunity for the service provider to produce revenue from it somehow.

I agree with you that content given freely and then taken away is both annoying and seemingly unproductive from your point of view, however the concept of FREE content must be (eventually) based on some kind of eventual ROI.

V

vaughan wrote:

hooked_on_trout wrote:

You mean all the FREE stuff is now being limited? YouTube are a provider, they are under no obligation to provide anything for free. Free is an awesome incentive, BUT it is not an entitlement.

Everything costs something. Who pays for the server farms, music videos, recording studios, etc?

Your taxes don't pay for it and your viewership has no inherent value for the service provider other than the opportunity for the service provider to produce revenue from it somehow.

I agree with you that content given freely and then taken away is both annoying and seemingly unproductive from your point of view, however the concept of FREE content must be (eventually) based on some kind of eventual ROI.

V

I guess your right, however I cannot see any returns from removing a video that was once freely distributed on TV by promoters other than the fact they seen the internet and YouTube was getting a lot of views and got greedy.

Yes and also I think it is making the internet some kind of generic supermarket where you can only see the crap they want to sell and all the creative, different and meaningful work is hidden away.

I know the artists should of course be paid, but how much goes to them?

Cheers

Archived