Windows Update Problem?

Cowfish13

Hey guys, not sure if anyone will be able to help with this, but it would be greatly appreciated if you could

Ok, so I'm having a few problems since the latest Windows Update. At least, I think it is since this update, but I can't be certain. I'm running Windows 7

Basically, I installed the "Important" and "Optional" Updates which were recommended to me by the Windows Update thing. Pretty standard procedure which I have done countless times previously, without issue. But since turning off my computer that night, I've had a few problems.

Firstly, I had no desktop when I turned it back on, and a lot of my folders and shortcuts had been rearranged or removed within Windows Explorer. I managed to restore most of this, go into the system files and fix up the desktop problems without a major problem. Just thought I'd mention this first.

But, for some reason iTunes doesn't work. If I try to open it, I get the same error message ("The iTunes application could not be opened. An unknown error occurred (-50)"). Now if I uninstall everything to do with Apple, in the correct order and then reinstall everything, it works perfectly without issue, until I shut down my computer again. Once I switch it back on, the same error message is displayed and the cycle continues. I've had a look online, ad it seems this program called RegCure could help, however it costs $40, and money is at a premium currently. So would like to hear some peoples thoughts on this

Another issue I am having is that while using Firefox (latest version, 3.6 or something like that), I can't download anything. What I mean by this is if there is a link to a file such as a Pdf, Word document, Powertab etc, if I click on it, no download box comes up with the file being saved and downloaded. This problem does not occur with Internet Explorer, but I would prefer to continue using Firefox if possible, otherwise I'll probably move to Google Chrome. I have found a fix for this problem however. If I clear everything from the cache, cookies, history etc, it works perfectly. However, as with the iTunes issue, as soon as i shut down and restart the computer, the problem persists.

Pretty much those are the main problems. Nothing hugely major, just a pain for someone who'd prefer to be able to listen to music and download documents to study for exams with...

Thanks everyone,

Will

Archived