First Yak and a PB!

Clevo_31

Well, my girlfriend and I had our aniversary up at burrum this weekend and hired a kayak from anaconda for it.... which turned out to be a bad idea as the weather <30knt gusts!!!!> was miserable =(. She got a good whiting at 35cm that tasted goooood, and I managed a massive toadfish.

So, figuring before I returned it I may as well give it another run, I headed out the front of raby bay at the ungodly hour of 3am this morning.... was on the water at 4.20 after setting up... spot on for the sunrise! Headed on over to the far entrance where I got a 25cm pike on one of those cheap outback lures from kmart .

Well, thinking "what the hell?" I rigged the pike live on a few 6/0 hooks and towed it behind me while flicking a nuke chook jerk shad. Picked up a 29cm squire which was great fun, and I have never landed one on my own steam before so I was stoked even if he was a little small :lol: .

A short while later my old friend the pike who was looking pretty ragged behind me from all the dragging had his missery put to an end in the gob of a big catfish who again, not a "good" fish but was great fun to bring in! The pike was somehow still intact so he went out again for another troll hehe :P . Sure enough, he got hit again, this time by what looked like a flatty, but I didn't get a great look as it shook the hook at the front of the yak =(. But the pike was still on!!!!

Looking ragged and with his guts hanging out my little bait soldier was to be dragged along again. This time, he was taken when my back was turned, and I looked around to check the rod and discovered it to be almost empty of line and somewhere to my left. I dont think I have ever removed a rod from its holder so quick before!!! I managed to get the things head turned around and it swam straight for the yak, and I thought I had pulled the hook... untill the rod went very tight, bent under the kayak with line screaming out.... and CRACK. The line snaps =(. No idea what it was, saw a good splash on the surface but never got a look in at it, but felt like a FPV F6 was attached at the other end!

All in all a great morning that I thouroughly enjoyed, and I cannot wait till the day I can afford a kayak all of my own!!!! preferably with an electric motor on it for the way back though hehehehe

Jordan

Cheah, never thought he would do any good, but it looks like I will be giving pike a go more often now =D.

People keep telling me there are lots of sharks in there, I'm yet to see or catch one. I fish for them and tend to get eels -sigh-. One bloke said he even saw a 3m tiger shark chomping down on a turtle out of the eastern entrance (very glad I completely forgot about this story out on the water!!!!).

Mate thats the single seat version of the one I hired, and to be honest I wasn't impressed. It was very difficult to push through the water.

Besides, If I do something I would rather save up and buy exactly what I want first time. Which is a nice fishing yak with an electric motor (so I can paddle out far then just cruise back in lol). Am looking into the mirage (? the brand name escapes me....) yaks, but like the look of the vikings too. Its a way off yet so I have plenty of time to plan lol.

Archived