report from some island

Jordan

got to wellington point this mornin at 5.30 and was getting the gear ready as it kept blowing over. i was frustrated at trying to tie knots and stuff when i realised just how much of a problem this would be. all i could think of was getting back and hearing a whole heap of 'i told you so's'. anyway i kept looking at my awesome new lures and was desperate to try them out. it then hit me i had no idea where green island was, and while it was still dark i could not see any islands close by. it was during my time of uncertainty that a car with a tralier with 3 kayaks turned up and some keen fishos got out. i went over and had a chat with them and ended up joining in with them. when the sun came up the wind died down a bit and the conditions improved a bit. i started trolling for a while as they anchored up and started bait fishing. we were fishing just past the last set of beackons off the weelo point jetty. i was trolling between there and the point on green island. by about 7.30 the wind reeeeeeally picked up, and i was miles out chasing a dud flock of birds i thought were onto some fish. got into the boatramp and reeled in the two reels to find a grinner on each. haha at least i caught something. fished around a guys chum slick out on his boat until a small hammerhead surfaced. that was enough proof for me that there could be bigger ones around and i was off. the water was reallly shallow to, which diddnt make me feel to confident about getting any decent fish, my deep diver occassionally snagged onto reefy bits. the other 3 blokes got tonnes of undersized reefies, and one legal squire, while the guy who had the boat got a nice 64 cm squire. (is that a snapper?) all in all it was a good day, far better than staying at home and beeing bored. definatley going to do it every chance i get now.

Archived