8hp tohatsu

Clevo_31

Hi all,

Recently I picked up an old tinny from a friend. Its a "speed topper" by "Aluminium boat company", and from what i can gather it is from the 60's. It is still riveted lol...

The motor that came with it is a Tohatsu rated at 8hp, but I have no idea from what time period it is from, and seeing as there is almost nothing on the net about either the boat or the motor I was just wondering if anybody on here had ever heard of the boat before?

The motor is pretty well stuffed, with a piston seized, fairly rusted in places etc, but I am trying to fix it regardless, as I would rather not spend too much on getting a new outboard... most of it is ok, the block, dizzy, pumps, shaft etc, but I need a few of the smaller peices, such as new piston rings, gaskets, spark plugs, however as i dont know he model year I dont know what I need exactly.

Is there any resource I could use to find out my model year and the specs of my particular motor?

As for the boat, its fine apart from the wooden seats. Soon I will be ripping them off and replacing them with new hinged versions, as well as making a small casting deck up front with a built-in live-well. A fresh coat of paint is in order too. Will start a thread and post some pics of it as I start messing with it...

Thanks in advance for any help guys!

Jordan

allright, so it turns out the motor is a Tohatsu M8A, which isnt supported by tohatsu anymore and I cant get parts for it... sighs. Seems I will have to try and source some piston rings from somewhere, and make my own gaskets for it.

The bore apparently is 1.77". Anybody know what piston ring it needs and where I can get one?

Thanks,

Jordan

Thing is my funds are limited, so if it means i only need to buy some piston rings and cork/rubber for the gaskets then its going to be heaps better and quicker for me than having to buy a whole new engine.

From what I can see of it the thing is simple as anything, so as long as it cleans up right i shouldnt have too many dramas from it? I hope...

Ok cheers, might be able to raid their yard for the rings i need...

Archived