Moreton bay 2/4

mattza13

Headed out early saturday morning to find that the morning s/w was blowing the bay up a bit outside redcliffe so decided to play it safe and head to the river for a fish.

Once launching at pinkenba we netted a heap of live mullet and herring for the day. Started off at the rockwall outside tug base. Got a couple of tailor on h/b and poppers. around 32cm only. Whilst throwing lures along the wall saw a 1 -1.2m whaler get well clear of the water, probably 1.5m in the air. Was a sight to see. From there we headed out to Mud from there for not too much success and the wind had dropped so headed over to our usual haunts over the inside of moreton. No luck by the 4 beacons but continued north to the bulwar reefs. Got there in the last hour of the run out managing a few snapper, only around the 30cm mark tho, all fell to bait, none to s/p. one tail loss off the tail of my 6" grub but thats all. firstly got one run off a floater when we first arrived, no hookup unfortunatly. As the tide slowed my mate mitch managed a decent hit off a weighted live mullet (around 3inchs). A steaming first run that was a great run peeling many m of 50lb braid off us, getting close to backing he managed to turn it from its first run. Unsure on what to call it a 10 min battle followed with some lovely surface action. Got it circling the boat, managed a gaff shot on the head, however the blunt rusted wilson gaff didnt penetrate its head(first shot i have ever missed) secong shot was a gut shot and managed to bring a 15k odd cobia on board, Mitches first cobia and first real cobia on board (we got a 80cm speciman off evans head the weekend before.) from then not too much happened from there so decided to head south again chasing tuna. ended up with only one at the 5kg mark, gotta love the fight of tuna, however the 20lb is a bit overkill nowdays, but i got sick of battling them on 6lb. All in all a good trip with a nice cobia for the esky, although it didnt fit =)

WIll throw some pics up later in the week. Hope everyone else did as well too

post-442-144598594906_thumb.jpg

the cobia had also had a very recent run in with sharks as can be seen in the picture.

now time for me to get onto something a bit better, he has caught two monsters in the last three trips, while i am only keeping the esky stocked with great reef fish

Archived