Evolution Jig Heads

Afternoon All

Recently I was at the Tinny and Tackle show in Brisbane and picked up some evolution jig heads. For those who are haven't seen them, they are a modular system where you pierce a hole down the middle of the soft plastic from the head down to the under side of it (say where a squidgy fishes bum would be if squidgies had bums), thread the jig head through the hole you made and then attach on the bottom side a double hook to lock it all in place. I have not put a link to their web site as not sure what the rules about promotions are on this site.

First thoughts were fantastic, no more plastics bitten off just behind where the traditional jig head sticks out and probably much more snag proof as well. After using them a couple of times and pinning small fish, I am yet to catch anything of any decent size with it despite some pretty good hits on the lure. I am thinking maybe when a fish grabs the lure it pushes the doubles up into the body of the lure making it easy for the fish to spit them out.

Has anybody else tried these things or have an opinion on them you might share.

Thanks

Mr O

I recall seeing them somewhere, seemed like a decent idea i guess, employing a stinger hook is not uncommon though....

RE-thinking about it....i guess it depends on the target species, as to their effectiveness? alot of mid-tier predators will aim for the eyes, and so therefore hooks presenting near the tail may not be overly effective, except in the case of a completely misjudged strike by the fish, hence stingers are sometimes used....?

My brother brought some from the tinnie tackle. I personally dont like them at all and what he said he paid for them i would even think about it. I think he said he paid $10 for a packet and they only had 3 hooks in it plus the spike. I have seen them prior to him showing me in Queensland fishing mag but never really thought they were that great that it would improve your catch if anything you lose more plastics from the design of the hooks facing down so i guess i will never by any.

Archived