All Round White Light

Ricko69

Hi Guys,

I hope this is the right place to post this ? But anyway ! I noticed in a post someone was pulled up by the water police for a dull all round white light, that I understand but my question is why was he pulled up I thought you only need to show your all round white when you are at anchor ?? I did get my boat licence a long time ago and in NSW so I could be breaking the law without even knowing it.

Thanks in advance :blush: :huh::unsure:

all round white light at all times and higher then you when you stand up. the brisbane water police enforce it more around the docks as they want all vessels easy to see at all times. its no longer called anchor light all though it is all that is required at anchor.

Taken from www.msq.com.au

Minimum required lights

Boats under way

Power boats

• Less than 7 metres in length with a maximum

speed not exceeding 7 knots – a white light

visible all round and, if possible, separate or

combined sidelights.

• Less than 12 metres in length:

– separate or combined sidelights, a masthead

light and a stern light or

– separate or combined sidelights, an all-round

white light.

The more lights the better. But yes, absolute min requirement is a fully illuminated all round light, must be clearly visible from all 360 degrees of viewing. Here is a link to the relivent site.

/>http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Navigation-lights.aspx

Always play it safe at night ;)

ok so you have your red and green on, i am in a bigger boat with a lot more horsepower, catching you real fast from behind.as there is nothing i can see in front of me, well if i run up your ass, i wont be stoppin, for some 1 that has no light that is visable from behind, i see a lot of this, and funnily enough these bloody idiots drive right the water police,got me beat, but if others aren't gunna have a lil common sence, nor will i. and i hope they learn the hard way. and also a white light is required when at anchor and dills still leave their red and green lights on which is telling every 1 around them that cant see that they might be anchored that they underway by ways of motorin along.but if you dont wanna get run over have ya red n greens on along with a very clearly visable all round white light also

and turn off your red n greens when anchored, keeps every 1 happy

there, so simple.

ok so you have your red and green on, i am in a bigger boat with a lot more horsepower, catching you real fast from behind.as there is nothing i can see in front of me, well if i run up your ass, i wont be stoppin, for some 1 that has no light that is visable from behind, i see a lot of this, and funnily enough these bloody idiots drive right the water police,got me beat, but if others aren't gunna have a lil common sence, nor will i. and i hope they learn the hard way. and also a white light is required when at anchor and dills still leave their red and green lights on which is telling every 1 around them that cant see that they might be anchored that they underway by ways of motorin along.but if you dont wanna get run over have ya red n greens on along with a very clearly visable all round white light also

and turn off your red n greens when anchored, keeps every 1 happy

there, so simple.

If I am going at 70 - 80 km/hr at night you will not see a little tinny if it has no night light on, pure crazyness.

Hi Guys,

I hope this is the right place to post this ? But anyway ! I noticed in a post someone was pulled up by the water police for a dull all round white light, that I understand but my question is why was he pulled up I thought you only need to show your all round white when you are at anchor ?? I did get my boat licence a long time ago and in NSW so I could be breaking the law without even knowing it.

Thanks in advance :blush: :huh::unsure:

Yeah that was possibly me mate. You need a all round light at all times at night. If you only have the Nav lights on you can not be seen from behind. It needs to be above head height in the boat. You can put a guard under the light to block some the light from blinding you.

The white light also has to be at least 1 mt higher than the nav lights. In a tinny the telescopic ones are the go. They can be mounted in the rear coner of the boat as it is the only practical place to mount it. Just make sure you get the long version as the shorter one only go up about 600 mm.

Thanks guys for the info will definatly change my ways especialy if NONAME is out at night I don't want to get run over. :evil: :whistle: My boat complys with all the requirements just didnt know the rules been a long time might have to do some research !!!!

even though i cant see anything, there are tell tail signs if you look and pay close attention , that another boat is motoring around the place, thats how i mostly find guys out there with no lights, because something isnt right, and get every 1 on the boat lookin. then buggar me, some 1 without a rear white light. also if your placing the white light on a tinnie, best you put the thing behind you, from where your driving, as if it's mounted on the far corner away from you, you will get the light in your eye's and have the urge to turn tha damn thing off, or, it impares your vision.

rob.

Archived