Servicing???

grander

Hi All,

New to boats and out boards but have just picked up a new stessco 429 catcher with a 30hp yam.

Looking though the manual reading the the service intervals, I was just wondering how you all keep track of the hours that your motor does?

For instance, our first service will be after ten hours, or 3 full tanks. Obviously depending on conditions and usage (trolling, planning etc) you can get alot more than ten hours usage out of three tanks...

We went out for our first run today around the southern bay islands for about 5hrs total today which was about 3.5 - 4hrs under power and only used about 10 litres, so to me the manufacturers recs dont add up?

and then there's 20 hrs, 50hrs etc.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Graeme

For the first 10 hours whilst you run the engine with additional oil requirements, you should change between speeds of being just in gear to 3/4 throttle. This slowly lubircates the pistons and runs the engine in. Then get a service done at 10 hours.

Next service is then due at approximately 50 hours. During 10-50 hours, run the fuel at the required oil and continue to play around with speeds. Service it at 50 hours.

Service it once a year after that.

Yamaha's are a fairly tough motor and are capable of a good flogging. So I'm sure you'll be right.

Thanks for the replies.

We're just about up to the first ten hours from our first weekend with it so have been having lots of fun. B)

Have been following the manufacturers recs and will be booking the first service in the next week or 2.

G. ;)

Archived