drag nets

Lachie

Are the drag nets easy to use? Iv never used one before..
yes... you preferably need 2 people but can be done with one.

get a broom handle or similar thing tie one end of the drag net to the broom handle and the other to another broom handle. if you dont have these put 1 rope on your foot and hold the other one. now if you dont have a second person, drive one broom handle in to the sand and then walk out into the water and do a half moon shape walk. if you have 2 people you can cover alot more ground and go deeper.

Are the drag nets easy to use? Iv never used one before..
yes... you preferably need 2 people but can be done with one.

get a broom handle or similar thing tie one end of the drag net to the broom handle and the other to another broom handle. if you dont have these put 1 rope on your foot and hold the other one. now if you dont have a second person, drive one broom handle in to the sand and then walk out into the water and do a half moon shape walk. if you have 2 people you can cover alot more ground and go deeper.

disreguard the driving the broom handle into the ground. gad just sent me a link that states......

• It must not be anchored, staked or fixed.

• No part of the net containing fish must be out of the water other than to immediately remove fish from the net for release.

• All regulated fish, and fish not intended to be taken, must be released into water deep enough to allow the fish to escape.

Did drag nets get banned years ago and now are legal again? We used to use one when we were kids (15-20 years ago - yep, getting old!!!!) at Hervey Bay but thought at some stage they got banned. Saw guys using one when we camped at Inskip at Easter which was the first time I'd seen one used in at least 10 years so thought they must have been dodging the laws but obviously they are legal again.

Yeah, watch out for stingrays. I remember using ours at a mouth of a small creek near Mackay and just lifting it in time before this massive dark oval made its way into it. Would have been mayhem!!!!!

Good luck in your search, unfortunately I don't know any spots.

• 1 month later...

Archived