Yarramalong Camping Plans

sunnydays

Hi Bfo'ers!

I'm going to Yarramalong on the weekend of the 17th of July for my birthday. I am going with my fiance and another couple. While we're there relaxing, reading and walking, I thought I might see if there is a cheeky Bass lurking in the creek!

Has anyone been to Yarramalong before? Do those waters even hold Bass, or do I need to go to Lake Moogera?

Apparently you can can hire a canoe there, so thought i might flick a small vibe or blade around and try my luck.

If anyone has any experience or advice it'd be much apreciated!

Justin

Please read some of the reviews of Yarramalong before going there . By all accounts it is very grim to put it politely.

Also its closed season for bass in Reynolds Creek that runs through the camp grounds.

You would be better off going to Camp Lakefire at Maroon dam where we are going to have our winter camp.

Cheers

Ray

Yarramalong near Aratula? If so, this was one of my favourite camping spots...but that was 15 odd years ago. Had some very relaxing stays there - basic but enjoyable. Would be disappointed if it has gone down hill since then.

Never fished there, so can not give you any advice on that sorry.

Marty

I was looking at camping there for an alternate access point into Reynolds creek and this type of review quickly changed my mind.

Cons: Most of the Facilities listed on the web site do not exist or are very run down, of the 8 toilets only 2 worked in Men's and 2 in Woman's, they were not cleaned at all while we were there, 8 showers but only 6 working, lights in both toilets and showers not working. BBQ's not working, kiosk looked abandoned a long time ago, full of broken glass and rats. Recreation hall again full of broken glass, no lights and full of rats, we were unable to use the table tennis or the pool table.

Overall: This camp ground should be closed down, it is very run down with almost nothing advertised on the web site actually up and running or working. It may have been a good camping ground at one time many years ago but is now just a run down shell which needs a lot of work done to bring it up to a level where the public could go there. DON'T GO THERE, IT IS A WASTE OF A TRIP AND MONEY AND SHOULD BE CLOSED DOWN!!!!!

There were a few other recent reviews on different sites and all are along the same vein. Unless they have done a lot of work in the last 3 months I would forget it.

CHeers

Ray

:huh:

Wow, Thanks Ray! I had a look at some reviews and seems like Yarramalong has gone to the pits! Shame because it use to be a great spot to camp when I was a kid.

We have decided to go to either the Deer park or Island reach at Imbil.

But I'm a little unsure of the bass closed season regulations. Where exeactly am I allowed to fish around there. Can I fish below the borumba dam wall in yabba creek, or do I have to drive up to the dam and fish above the wall, or neither?

I am planning to target 'fresh water fish', of which bass is prob the most likely of catching in that area, so I assume to say that 'I am targeting Bass'

Also, if I was to target another species like toga, how would I change my approach so I limit my chance of cathcing a bass?

maybe i'll be better off not taking the rods! :blush:

Thanks again,

Justin

Archived