SOO 2011 Continues

Gad

Ninemsn WWOS 10:08 AEST Fri Jul 15 2011

Meninga stands by anti-NSW column

Queensland State of Origin coach Mal Meninga has refused to apologise to NSW rugby league identities who threatened him with legal action over his explosive Sunday Mail column.

Meninga told Friday's Courier-Mail he stood by his printed reaction to what he called unfair off-field behaviour against himself and his team.

"There is no way to put it delicately," he told the newspaper.

"But what I said needed to be said. They have called me a ranter. They have called me a raver. They have called me a weirdo, called me mad.

"But the people of Queensland needed to be made aware of the hurdles that their team had to overcome to bring them victory.

"The easy thing to do would be to say, 'well, we won the series' and cop it on the chin.

"But I wanted everyone to know the hurdles this team has faced so that next year, the people responsible for it will not think they can get away with it without us biting back.

"They started this fight, with the tactics they employed this year.

"It got to the stage where we couldn't retaliate because it would have harmed our preparations to do so. The smart thing was to wait until the job was done, all the emotion was taken out of it at the end of the series, and let a few people know what we thought.

"This was not a column where I just shot from the hip. This was a few weeks in the making, right from before the State of Origin series began.

"I knew there would be a lot of drama, a lot of media banter around Origin. There always is and I think it is fantastic for the game.

"It adds to the theatre of Origin. But when it descends from spirited banter to a blatant personal attack, that is when the line has been crossed. That is what really upsets me. Personal attacks and hypocrisy this year took things too far."

Meninga was particularly angered during the interstate series by newspaper stories saying he was simply a figure head and others were responsible for the exploits of the winning team.

He had until 5pm Thursday to notify NRL match review chairman Greg McCallum whether he intended delivering an unreserved apology and front page retraction for his stinging comments in last weekend's Sunday Mail or face possible legal action.

Go the Maroon

Bah, it's all dirty crap. The team played dirty - couldnt win so they try it officially.. Anything they think may help them win, they will try regardless of it's in the spirit of the game or not.

Good on ya Mal, bout time someone spoke the truth. And just for that he faces possible legal action.. What a joke.

NRL = National Rugby League apparently.. But it really doesnt - NRL means New (South Wales) Rugby League :woohoo:

Ahh well not to worry, QLD have to lose next year and lose until the year 2018 before NSW have any boasting rights :P :cheer: :evil: :lol::PB) hahahahahah QUEENSLANDER

Cheers

Glenn

• 3 weeks later...

Ninemsn WWOS 10:08 AEST Fri Jul 15 2011

Meninga stands by anti-NSW column…

He had until 5pm Thursday to notify NRL match review chairman Greg McCallum whether he intended delivering an unreserved apology and front page retraction for his stinging comments in last weekend's Sunday Mail or face possible legal action.

Update… no apology, no court action

Did some play "blind mans` bluff"

Taken from ninemsn August 02, 2011 12:00AM

Malcontent ends as Meninga views NRL match review panel at work

MAL Meninga came away from a meeting with the NRL match review panel yesterday impressed by how difficult their "mind-numbing" job is.

Panel members Greg McCallum, Bradley Clyde and Peter Louis dropped their defamation action against Meninga last week when he agreed to sit in on one of their weekly video reviews and clarified the criticism in a Sunday Mail column.

The Queensland State of Origin coach said yesterday he did not regret a previous column in which he was critical of Sydney league powerbrokers.

Meninga said the meeting in Sydney gave him a better understanding of the match video review committee's work.

"I think it was excellent, actually. Greg and his team took me through the processes undertaken by the review committee," Meninga said.

"It was a very positive and proactive experience.

"It is a pedantic process, to be honest with you. A lot of the things these guys have to put up with on a week-to-week basis is mind-numbing.

"So I don't envy what they do. It's a hard job ... today actually reinforced that they have a difficult job."

Asked if he regretted his column, Meninga said: "I don't regret anything. I'm happy with everything at the moment.

"Out of something that I guess was reasonably negative, there's a positive experience.

"Today was a communicative process that we should probably have more of in our game."

Meninga said there was "no need" to apologise to any members of the match review panel.

Archived