2 PBs at Snipe Island

Gary Busey

Headed out from Vic point with a mate around 11am and decided to try Snipe 1st.

Threw a whole pillie out the back to sit while I flicked some plastic. A couple of flicks later, the pillie took off and came back wrapped in a 48cm tailor. A PB for me (as you could tell from the smile if it wasn't buried under a stupid beard).

post-8705-14459865084_thumb.jpg

Went quiet soon after, so we tried Coochy then Banana Banks with baits, plastic and a Lucanus, that I hadn't heard of until 2 days ago when I saw one attached to Merv Hughes on IFish.

No luck so me moved to Peel. A couple of taps on the pillies while I worked the Lucanus again, wondering if Merv forgot to tell me something, then BANG, it caught me a flattie the same size as the previous tailor. I've caught bigger flatties before but I was more than happy with the catch and glad I was making use of yesterdays optimistic purchase of a brag mat.

post-8705-144598650871_thumb.jpg

Died off again so we thought we'd head back to snipe for prime time.

After sun down and no action, I was just about to ask my deckie if he'd had enough when my line went screaming and in came my 2nd PB for the day, a 56cm lizard.

post-8705-144598650852_thumb.jpg

We both had a fair bit of interest from a few other big flatties during the next hour but the only other thing we managed to get in the boat was my deckies 36cm tailor.

Headed fot the ramp soon after, happy to have a fish that wouldn't fit in the freezer. (Just finished eating it).

post-8705-144598650862_thumb.jpg

Apologies for my camera phone that gets worse as the sun gets lower.

Cheers.

Murray.

Archived