Bait rigging

hulk

I often read many articles on all things fishing and one thing that keeps me thinking is the way which baits are rigged. I know plenty of articles suggest to have bait appear lifelike when rigging. I have tried this on many occasions and find result is really no different to when i put chunks of bait on the end of the hook.

So my question to all forumites is " How do you rig your baits and which approach do you find works best for you.(I'm sure most people wouldn't think to photogragh their bait rigging)

Also nominate differences in approach according to bait used.

I think we will end up having an intersting read based on varying opinions.

Thanks in advance

Adam

I take great care when rigging my baits so they look natural and hide hooks where possible which i believe give me good results such as

Fishing for mackerel i use a bait needle and pull the swivel through the bum of a pillie and out the mouth and use light single strand wire to 1 4/0 big gun hook which i tuck into the back of the bait when it reaches the bum. I find this dynamite on spotties

Snapper i thread the pillie from the bum and have the hook at the head with the barb well exposed and then tie a half hitch around the tail with the mono to keep it straight when i run a small sinker onto the tail of the pillie. The sinker must be small enough so the bait doesn't go to the bottom and rest there it must keep feeding out off the spool till the snapper hit it with a nice down angle to the line

Whitting i use a long shank hook and like to use yabbies or blood worms with a long trace around 1.5m from the swivel and good size sinker to keep me on the bottom. The yabbie must be threaded from the tail first and the turn of the hook exposed from the yabbie so it sits straight so the whitting can suck it down easy and the worms threaded on leaving a little bit dangling off the end of the hook

Filleting fish and using strip baits i cut into a long triangle and have the blunt end near the barb of the hook

Just a few of my tips i hope this helps i tend to outfish most plastic fishos which are using natural looking silly things but in the end its still not the real thing :woohoo:

Archived