Advanced Boating Course/ Bar Crossings?

Gary Busey

Sorry if this has been covered, I've done a quick search but no luck yet.

I'm wondering if there's any course out of Bris to learn about bar crossings.

I've upgraded to a half cab recently and would like to head out through the Gold Coast seaway in future, but not without gaining as much knowledge as possible 1st.

I don't know anyone with any decent boating skills. Is there anyone experienced in this area that is without a boat at the moment and would like a deckie spot in return for some lessons sometime in future?

Thanks.

Murray.

Mate if you are only looking to go out of the seaway a bar course is probably not required. If there are waves breaking across the seaway you shouldn't be going out anyway! Just remember the basics:

1) try and avoid the last of the run out tide

2) always keep you boat pointed straight into the waves

3) patience. Wait for your gap

4) if it looks bad it's not worth it

5) on the way back in pick a decent sized swell and stay with it, don't drop over the front or off the back

I cross the seaway regularly in my 5.3m half cab, the waves do stand up a bit at times but just take your time and you'll get through no worries.

If you're still worried drop me a pm when you're heading out and I'll see what I'm up to!

I don't think anyone does the course at the seaway as it is not a bar,saying that the seaway is so unpredictable, only 2 weeks ago the swell was breaking behind me half way across the seaway. Only on a bad day does it get tricky, and the pressure waves are only 100 mtrs. Outgoing tide can get a bit choppy. Dead mans is 300 mtrs out n e of the north wall stay away fro

There. I always wear a life jacket coming through the seaway.

That Helps heaps guys. I thought the seaway was a pretty easy one to start with. I usually only go fishing when the wind is around 10 knots anyway.

I'll take a mate with me and put the life jackets on and give it a go next time I'm out that way.

Thanks!

What's it like getting through between Straddy and Moreton?

Thats when you need to do the Course, espcially for the douthern bar, I've been out there when there is nothing and didnt even know it was a bar and also with Tugger when it was better than a Thrill ride at the Goldcoast Wonderland, couple of the regular gut=ys here have done the course for this Bar and sear by it Ine Bloke is Azza if hes around and not away working. I think the name of the bloke that is well know for them is Bill Corten.

Thats when you need to do the Course, espcially for the douthern bar, I've been out there when there is nothing and didnt even know it was a bar and also with Tugger when it was better than a Thrill ride at the Goldcoast Wonderland, couple of the regular gut=ys here have done the course for this Bar and sear by it Ine Bloke is Azza if hes around and not away working. I think the name of the bloke that is well know for them is Bill Corten.

So are there seperate courses for each crossing? How do I find them?

bill corten will take you out for the day and run u through the 3 main channels of south passage and generally just have a good look and play around, he makes u do them all ur self under his instruction also.

he may even throw in a bit of fishing if u lucky as he also does offshore fishing courses.

Yeah Bill Coreton is the man to see for bar crossings and he only does the course when it's fairly rough so as you get your skills up. Only drawback with the course is that you're learning on a CruiseCraft 685 (I think that's what he's still using) and it's a very capable boat so what you can do in his boat on the day you're boat might not handle the same in similar conditions, but it's still worth doing. Although I don't own a boat the best tip I can give going out South Passage bar or Amity Channel is don't follow everyone else unless you know them and they know where they're going, i've been through there on days where a convoy of boats all head out following each other and the guy in front didn't know where to go and they all end up in amoungst the breakers.

Cheers

Mark

Archived