Few days at moreton island (marlin lodge)

Shimanobwoie

The night before I left for the island I was starting to come down with the flu. I wasnt to sure if I still wanted to go but everything was paid for. The morning we left i still wasnt feeling to flash but I found enough energy to get out of bed.

As soon as we arrived on the Micat and with the wrecks in view I suddenly came well enough to have a quick flick of me new rod. The first cast with a 3 inch gulp grub in nuclear chicken didnt go to well at all as soon as i made contact with the bottom gave it a small twitch felt a small bump then it was over. Had only been there for 2 seconds and already losing gear. Quick run up the sand track to marlin lodge to unpack gear and work out what our gameplan for the day was going to be. We made the call to try and get out of the 25knt+ SE winds and head towards yellow patch and try to find a few trevally. After the hour trip up towards our first spot the heavens opened up and was making thing difficult along with the huge swells rolling in so we turned arounded and back where we just came from to fish the wrecks.

We got to the wrecks and the whole place to ourselves but it was still raining and blowing but we werent to keen to call it a day without getting a single fish. It took another hour to get our first fish then the fishing came on we were constantly onto fish for the next hour or so. The fish did vary in size from small bream and snapper to there bigger brothers. The biggest snapper went close to 50cm and the biggest bream went close to 37cm.

The next days to come we did abit of driving around the island checking out everything the island had to offer from the big sand hills, the oyster racks down the south the south passage and the eastern beach but then i finally got the chance to fish the jetty for an all nighter to see if any cobia or kingies wanted to play.

The last time I was on the island there was nobody fishing the jetty the whole time I was the only person to fish it. This time things werent different there was a couple of people there before us then more and more people started to arrive and fish. The dolphins also stayed around for most of the night making it difficult to even try and catch something that was a decent size so i left the stella and baitrunner out of the water untill the people left. By 3am there was finally nobody on the jetty but the dolphins were still around so i continued to catch scad and pike untill first light. First light came quick and it was time to send out a livie under a ballon. 5 minutes go by and i see the ballon jerk but not snap the rubberband a minute later I was hooked on. While this was going on and fighting the fish my mate that had left that night had came back to see how i was going seen what i was hooked onto and threw out another livie on the baitrunner before you knew it he was hooked onto a longtail aswell.

30 minutes later I had my tuna next to the jetty now the hard part landing this fish without a pier gaff and a small ladder right between 3 pylons. My mate climbed the ladder and grabbed it under the gills and we had it on the jetty. It was a nice fish coming close to 20kg we lost the other fish but managed 2 the very next day.

The next day was spent resting and waiting to come home. It was a good little trip with a few trev's, snapper, bream, scad, pike, mullet and 3 longtails. The first longtail was cut up and gave most of it away to the people who were watching and a few blokes we were talking to the night before.

post-7896-144598668887_thumb.jpg

After me mate hooked his fish and gave the rod to the bloke standing next to us to have abit of fun.

post-7896-144598668894_thumb.jpg

Some mullet i got in 2 cast down the beach cast netting.

post-7896-144598668905_thumb.jpg

Archived