Lowrance mark 5 grayscale dsi first run.

roverfj1200

The first outing with the Lowrance was more a fish than a long play with the new sounder. Having no chines on the transom of my boat i thought the mounting of the transducer would cause a roosters tail at speed or worse still to lose bottom at speed but no all good. Run the boat up to about 50kph in heavy swell and chop (very uncomfortable ) without loosing bottom signal.Over shallow reef could identify growth and structure well. At anchor in 6 metres of water could see what may have been fish under the boat. Only thing was bottom identification. I ran the sounder over a few bottom types. The signal return was not what I was expecting and will take a few trips to figure out I think. Selection of screens and operation is easy duel beam works well and the split screen with 2X zoom gives great bottom detail.As with any new toy it will take a time to get to know it well. But for a first run I am happy with it..

Cheers

Hi Rover

Maybe try run 200 kHz only in shallow water? AFAIK, duel frequency is overkill in shallow water. I've got a mate at work who has a similar unit and reckons running duel frequency in shallow water actually clutters his picture. Anyway it's second hand info mate, but might be worth a try next time you are out there.

Hi Rover

Maybe try run 200 kHz only in shallow water? AFAIK, duel frequency is overkill in shallow water. I've got a mate at work who has a similar unit and reckons running duel frequency in shallow water actually clutters his picture. Anyway it's second hand info mate, but might be worth a try next time you are out there.

Thanks mate. This one runs 455 and 800 khz. I found the duel good in shallow water. With the 800 on 2X..

Cheers

Archived