Jennys to stay off the menu in Queensland

Gad

Had a quick look and could not see a report, my apologise if already posted

Main Roads, Fisheries and Marine Infrastructure

The Honourable Craig Wallace

Friday, December 23, 2011

Female mud crabs will remain off-limit in Queensland following passionate feedback from fishers all over the state, Fisheries Minster Craig Wallace announced today.

Mr Wallace said 439 Queenslanders had their say on the proposal for a limited take of ‘Jennys’ by recreational fishers.

“Queenslanders have spoken on the question of whether we should allow a restricted take of female mud crabs for recreational fishers and the answer is no,†Mr Wallace said. “439 Queenslanders called, emailed or wrote to me about Jenny mud crabs, with the final tally 287 against and 152 for changing the rules.

“The clear message from Queensland fishers is that the current system of regulation for mud crabs works well, so it will remain.

“That means there will be no Jennys on Queenslanders’ plates for Christmas lunch this year or at any other time.

“The feeling from Queenslanders is that any take of female mud crabs would harm our breeding stocks and harm long-term sustainability.

“Queensland is well-known for the quality of its mud crabs, so I want to ensure the community is comfortable about the way they are managed.

“It has been illegal to take female mud crabs in Queensland for over 100 years and following the public feedback, we won’t be changing the law.

“Fishers are still able to catch male mud crabs larger than 15 cm, with a bag limit of 10.

“I would like to thank every Queenslander who contributed to the discussion on the important issue of mud crab sustainability.â€

A take by commercial fishers was not under consideration.

Media contact: Jen Zemek 0437 113 241

Archived