Deception bay above Dept Fishies 22 July 2007

username_taken

Headed up there to show it to a mate this morning, got there at about 6:30 ( low tide at 8:40 ) and the water was pretty high still, so we walked right the way to the mouth of the river that forms the flatty channel. Threw in there for a while to pass the time, but no fish.

Slowly made our way down the channel back towards the Dept Fisheries and managed to catch a single flattie. there was about 5 other people there, and my flattie was the only one I saw caught. He weighed in at about 45cm and I caught him on a Atomic grub in Pumpkin seed.

I was surprised how far inside his mouth I hooked him, he must have sucked it right down!

DSC02885.JPG

username_taken wrote:

He weighed in at about 45cm and I caught him on a Atomic grub in Pumpkin seed.

What size fat grub were you using? Flathead prefer bigger profiled lures around 4inches. Even 25cm Flathead will take a 4inch lure. I caught a Flathead that was as big as the 4inch Power Minnow I was using at Tweed a few months back. The only drawback to big lures is the decreased chance of by catch like Bream and Big Whiting, but if it's Flathead you're after, 4 and 5inch paddle tails and Gulp! Minnows and Jerk Shads are the go ;) .

Troy

Archived