Have you ever needed a trailer....

tradie

A few weeks ago my brother wanted to clear a few trees and bushes from around his house and after speaking to him on the phone realised there was going to be more rubbish that we first thought. A council house bin was way out of the question and the roadside kerb clean-up had already been which got me thinking if only we had a trailer we could just take it all to the dump..... To hire a trailer would be the best part of $50-$80 for a half/full day and ordering a skip would be even more expensive. I gave it some thought and only the week before had I used the boat and trailer to lay a sheet of slab mesh for a project at home which got me thinking.....

I towed the boat over to my brother’s house and seems the branches were around 3-4m long which was perfect for my 4.15m tinny as they just laid on top of one another. The tinny was packed and all tied down with enough rope it was off to the dump. Nearly every set of traffic lights people were taking photos and pointing. After a short drive to the dump the weight bridge staff tell me I’m the first they had seen to use a boat/trailer or any other use which got me thinking surely not? I ended up getting 2 offers to buy my boat from the staff while I was there. I backed my boat up and started to unload and the guy next to me said "Dam my boats sitting at home, didn’t even consider it just hired this trailer!!"

All in all on my way out turns out I had 350kg of rubbish so used my dump dockets and got out of that mission cheaply. As I took everything out of the boat before I loaded up the rubbish I figured the weight I had taken out would not cause me to overload. A quick washout when I got home and loaded the boat back up.

As for the photo of the tree stump this was back in mid Feb when we were having that never ending rain. Id just been up to dockside to see a mate and on the way back saw this tree stump drifting on course to smash into a bunch of about 6 yachts that were on anchor. As the stump was going with the run out tide it was moving with pace and would certainly have caused some serious damage. In the pic the stump still goes almost a metre under the water. I nosed my bow as I was drifting with the tide up to this stump and was able to use my boat to push this stump out of the way of these yachts. I could only go down river as the tide was to strong and I tied a knot and threw it at the stump and attached to the stern so i could somewhat control this to a safe spot. A city cat came past and stopped and spoke on the radio and thanked me greatly and said to bring it into the Bulimba terminal if I could and they would radio the people that clean up the debris in the river. They were amazed with the sheer size of this stump and no one wanted to imagine what would happen if it had been left floating....... Imagine hitting that at night :unsure:

Also helped the next door neighbour move out on Monday just had to move her double bed and a couple of boxes and out came the boat trailer again was able to lay a tarp down first wrap the bed in the tarp and lay onto of the boat and tie down. Drove over to her new home and unloaded. There was a removalist there for some of the other house mates and they found it quite amusing.

Any way Thank you for reading my post and if you have any action photos of your boat/trailer used for anything other than boating please post them up and share :)

Adam

post-5874-144598776039_thumb.jpg

post-5874-144598776052_thumb.jpg

post-5874-144598776061_thumb.jpg

post-5874-14459877607_thumb.jpg

nice one on the stump .

i use my tinny for dump trips when i can not get my dad's box trailer .

one day if i ever get around to it i have the stuff to convert my tinny trailer to a box trailer .it would be removable sides and back and front and a peace of ply for the floor .

Nice one mate might be onto something there mate, I suppose if you have a few hands you could just lift your boat on and off, its pretty handy

nice one on the stump .

i use my tinny for dump trips when i can not get my dad's box trailer .

one day if i ever get around to it i have the stuff to convert my tinny trailer to a box trailer .it would be removable sides and back and front and a peace of ply for the floor .

Nice one mate might be onto something there mate, I suppose if you have a few hands you could just lift your boat on and off, its pretty handy

my boats are a 12 foot tinny and 14.6 glass so easy to get off .

Archived