Mekong Giant Catfish

Cheyne_jones

Got home yesterday from a little holiday around Thailand. Got to fish Gillham's Fishing Resort in Krabi on Saturday, which was a great time. Landed 4 fish (lost an Arapiama which sucked). Got a couple differnt species of carp up to 40lb and a 145lb Mekong Giant Catfish which really topped it off for me. They are recognised as the biggest and hardest fighting freshwater fish on the planet, and I totally believe it after catching one. They are a real challenge to land, can strip 150m of locked drag with ease, they really break you down. Took me 45min to land it, and I was nearly broken. The record at this place for the longest fight with a Mekong is over 6 hours, I dont know how that angler did it, super human effort! Any way will let the pics do some talking.

Gillhams.jpg

Siamese%20Carp.jpg

My guide releasing the first Siamese Carp I caught. They are good fighters, grow over 200lb supposedly.

Mekong.jpg

My Mekong Giant Catfish, the picture tells a 1000 words really. Cant wait to go back and catch a bigger model.

Jeff, the gear was supplied by the park, I couldnt be bothered travelling with gear (was worried about having rods lost). They were custom made rods called cat tamers, about 9 foot long, fast action probably rated around the 15kg mark. All rods were rigged with Penn 760 baitrunners.

Hi mate,

great report sounds like you had a ball. I was lucky to catch a 150lb Arapaima on 15lb line, we had to hold onto the beast to burp him until it was strong enough to swim away. Funny thing was I almost caught him about an hour later (must of been hungry). Thailand is a great place and they really look after their fish in the parks. A bit scary though jumping in the water with the likes of alligator gar and other munchies swimming around your feet.

tight lines and happy ping pong shows

Kev

Archived