Texas cod fishing

WayneD

Headed down to Texas chasing cod on the long weekend just gone, just for the sat/sun. There were 5 of us in yaks and we camped beside the Dumaresq on one of the reserves over night. Didn't exactly rough it as we still went to the pub for dinner and some of us got a hot brekky in the morning from Fords shop.

Overall it was a ball of laughs as it always is when camping and fishing with mates. Probably only caught about 15 cod and 2 yellowbelly all up. I reckon we dragged the yaks over 3kms of rapids and dry creek beds for the two days fishing so it was hard yakka.

Most fish were caught on spinnerbaits and my duck of catching a cod on a hardbody continues.

post-1190-144598810465_thumb.jpg

post-1190-14459881047_thumb.jpg

post-1190-144598810474_thumb.jpg

post-1190-144598810477_thumb.jpg

post-1190-144598810481_thumb.jpg

post-1190-144598810485_thumb.jpg

post-1190-144598810489_thumb.jpg

We launched at Gibraltar Reserve which is downstream from the bridge. Headed downstream the first day and headed upstream the next. Most cod caught by one person was 5, biggest of the weekend went 69cm.

The first day I got my one and only cod within 5 mins and less than 50mtrs from where we launched. I also got a yella that day. The second day I got two cod within the first 15 mins (both from the same snag) and then didn't get another touch all day.

It was very frustrating as on a number of occasions fish were pulled off snags after 4 people had already cast at them a number of times and then the last one through pulled a fish off it. But that's cod fishing for you!

Both our Cod were on spinnerbaits also they didn't seem to keen on hardbodies, I reckon it's more the fact you can get the spinnerbait right into the timber where the fish are holding. Also the two Cod we did catch were similar in so far as you'd get one nudge on the first cast then it took another 10-20 casts for a hookup, there's probably a Cod in every snag you just gotta tempt it to come out, i'll be back there for sure.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for the report Wayne.

We normally have base camp at Gibraltar too. Good spot.

Fords food is great - especially their burgers :lol:

I haven't fished the last couple of times we've been there. :blush: This might be what I need as inspiration

There's a decent patch of water below the Cunningham Weir which is at Beebo (about 20km further up the road away from Texas) if you're keen for an explore next time.

Plastic,

Have only ever caught cod on hard bodies there. Nothing on spinner baits. :side:

Archived