Dead Fish In River

Stunned Mullet

My mates dropped their boat in at fig tree pocket today and came across a few dead fish in the river(catty's and threadfin),thought it was a little strange so they cruised up the river to find lots more, huge catfish and salmon some of the salmon were well over a metre as well as lots of smaller fish also plenty of school/river jew. They ran into a couple of kayaka's who had been for a paddle and they said they must have seen 300/400 dead fish in the river. Not good , they called fisheries and told them, it was the first they'd heard of it and they were on their way to investigate, hopefully no one's dumped something in the river in the area, it will be interesting to see if anything is reported.

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/08/18 18:16

i was down at the ftp ramp on Sunday and noticed it was unusually clear (for the river anyway). I got a little bream on my first cast and figured the clarity was a good thing, there must have been a school because every cast our baits were getting smashed for about 45 minutes but no more hook ups unfortunately. One really big run that I missed when me and my mate both went for the rod in the rod holder at the same time.. kinda like one of those baseball bloopers where the two dudes trying to catch the ball run into each other. Also caught a couple of catfish, one smallie and a pretty decent bloke..

the ramp has been pretty dismal recently man, i haven't been getting anything... waiting for the warmth to come back and then i'll be back there with my shark baits!

i was stoked to get a little bream, a healthy lookin little guy too.

So far species we've pulled out at the boat ramp; fresh water eels, pike eels, catfish, cod, bream, mullet, bullies and the odd muddy.. unfortunately no 2 metre cobia yet.

maybe i'm weird but I actually enjoy catching muddies on the rod, it's a challenge. They seem to be smarter than sandcrabs who'll just hold on no matter what. You gotta ease them in, too much pressure and they're onto you.. just gotta be ready at the waters edge with your net.

The spot that i fish in westlake , not to far from ftp has been dead lalty. Although some guys did pull out a 35cm and 45cm bream and 60cm threadfin over 2 different afternoons last week... the species we have pullet out from our little spot are, fresh water eels, pike eels, catfish, Threadfin, Bream, Logan river perch, Flathead, stingray, mudcrab, 2 different species of cod that i cant identify.. ( in castnet )and lots of prawns baitfish ect.

also my friend got a small mangrove jack in his crabpot neer my spot..... :)

Archived