Just arrived from London

Casual Angler

Hello

I have just moved to Brisbane from UK. I have already hooked more fish in the last 2 months than I did in the last year in the UK. Haha.

I am loving the outdoors and can\'t wait to get my own boat. I did my boat safe course with Loyd in Scarborough. 100% satisfaction with this fine gentleman. I would recommend him to anybody. Great. :cheer:

My profile pic is a nice 55cm Jewie on 4Lb braid. 1m of 6Lb mono leader and a mullet livie. I got the combo from BCF in Petrie. The young bloke was very helpful and knowledgeable. The combo is excellent. I have found a lot of the fishing gear here is very well priced compared to the UK. Most things are more expensive here in Oz. Shooting and fishing stuff is cheap. Great. ;)

I hope to hook up with some \'locals\' in the coming season. I have found the blokes I have spoken to are generally very helpful and knowledgeable. With the odd exception of some young blokes riding their jetskis and tinies at 100 MPH close to other boats and pontoons etc, I have experienced quite positive attitudes from my chance encounters. This is good news as the clubs in UK are hard to beat for friendliness and hospitality. Even if the fishing in England is usually pretty poor. :S LOL

I am particularly interested in the sharks. Most species are protected throughout Europe so hooking into some \'bullies\' is my next thing. I have developed some long casting skills from England and have some pretty long range kit. You have to when fishing anywhere in Europe. So am hoping to hook into some sharks from land. This is my favourite type of fishing. I love the boat but hooking a big fish while standing on the shore is an altogether different experience. Here\'s hoping.

Anyway, blah blah. Nice to chat.

See you in Moreton Bay. Paradise!!!!!! yay.

CA

Welcome to the site, there are plenty of good fish to be landed fishing landbased before you acquire your new boat so don't be afraid to get out there and give it a go. Try some of the 3" Damiki Armour shads - $10RRP or less and you get 12 a pack, they'll catch you anything from Bream, flatties, jew, threadies etc

No. the rigs in UK are preetty stiff. nobody would every fish with 4Lb or even 6 for anything casting from the shore. I used the 6 Lb mono cos my tiny little combo sounds great when it is having line torn off and I was hoping for a big flattie to brag about. My other rod had 15 LB on it... haha. just seeing what I am capable of really.

I am going to try and get a shark in the next week on 8Lb gear. Woody point pier at night. We will see.

What's your favourite rig?

ca

Yes from everything I have seen of UK fishing they use fairly heavy tough rigs for their fish, but mind you, I have mostly only seen videos of fishing for monster carp in ponds. Here some of our fish you will catch are pretty tough but are heavily fished for so going light is the way to go, but you already seemed to have embraced that and are off to a great start.

I like to use the running sinker rig, this works pretty well for me in shallower water and I use a suitable baitholder or long-shanked baitholder for a worm or yabby bait. For deeper water I like the paternoster rig with a suitable sinker, and I use baitholder or circle hooks. I have found though that a bit of experimenting with rigs is what has brought some of the best results. I use lures a lot more though, maybe others can tell us their gun bait rigs?

Archived