Severn Topwater

Rhet

Hi All

I'm heading out to fish the Severn near Ashford in a few weeks, land based rock hopping.

I'll predominately focus on top water early and late in the day. I have the standard poppers and a jitterbug, and was after any advice on must have surface lures for that river. Chasing my first green fish.

Cheers, Rhet

I have been using these for a while and they cast a mile:
/>http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php?action=store;cat=74

I also wrapped a beat up Oar-gee lure in fly fur and retrieve it like a swimming mouse, and the surface hits on it have been far more brutal than any other surface lure.

post-1039-144598885644_thumb.jpg

Good luck, I will be heading over the range soonish for a bash too.

Hey Rhet, good luck out there, I hope you get a few. I'd love to get down there one day myself. One day soon.

Surface action is awesome, but is there a particular reason why you only want to use surface lures?

Especially chasing your first Cod I wouldn't limit myself to just surface. Big bibbed hard bodies, Spinnerbaits, and bibless vibes would probably be your best performers. For sure give the surface lures a red hot go too, you should get fish on them, but yeah I think sub surface might be a little more reliable especially in the light of day.

-Steve.

Fair question I guess, but you answered it yourself "surface action is awesome".

I certainly won't be limiting myself to surface, but I aim to focus mostly on the low light periods early and late, fishing out of the heat.

Weather pending I'll also be throwing spinner baits and oargee's during the day.

At the end, however I have to catch them is what I'll do, but the aim is to see some surface action.

Cheers

At low light you are half a chance on topwater, but in my experience out there you can't go past a 1/2 ounce spinnerbait with double colorado blades. My last trip out that way I messed around for 2 days thowing hards and topwater just trying to find a pattern while the boys I fished with kept the tally ticking over on spinners, finally bit the bullet on the last morning and changed over to a spinner and got a few nice fish pretty quick.

Archived