Nudgee / Schultz's 25/08

Cliffy

Yeah, yeah, I know, late again! So, last Saturday the young fella and a mate and I decided that the 7:30pm 2.15m high tide looked too good to resist, specially with the weather settling, so off we headed to the small pier near the mouth of Schultz's at Nudgee Beach. Got there just on high tide to find a couple of blokes in our preferred spot - \"No worries, Dad\" says the young fella, and starts waving his rod around like a maniac while \"casting\", being careful to embed a couple of hooks in the timber not 18 inches from one of these poor blokes :whistle:. Sure enough, within 30 seconds (after having broken the world record for packing up 2 rods, 2 handlines, a huge bucket-full of gear and enough bait to load a small trawler) they headed off, nervously glancing over their shoulders as they went :evil:!

Now, I'd got it into my damn-fool head that there were going to be some really, REALLY big fish around this night, so I set up the larger of my 2 rods with 3-ganged 6/0's and an exceptionally large pillie and heaved it into the channel, much to the mirth of the young fella and the mate, both of whom were making none-to-veiled references about the state of my mental health. Of course, this had the net effect of making me somewhat more stubborn about the whole big-hook thing, so my poor old (and light) spinning set ended up with a 4/0 main and 2/0 keeper set-up, this time with a whole squid for good measure :lol:. Meanwhile they're busy baiting up what could only be described as fairly small bait hooks with microscopic amounts of cut bait - I'll leave my comments to your imagination!

After about an hour of observing crabs fastidiously removing every last scrap of bait from my hooks, another bloke and his young fella turned up to try their luck - and b*gger me if he didn't get in on the act when he saw the getup I was re-baiting...\"Lash yourself to the wharf, son, 'cos when that bloke hits a fish it'll bl**dy well tow us away!\" and the like :angry:! Thought to myself \"I'll show you, smart-*rse\", and used the good old pillie in a squid body bait for some extra attractant quality (and less crab damage), but still to no avail. Finally, the young fella landed the only fish of the night, a 28cm whiting (breakfast the next day, yum!), and we conceded defeat and headed off (to muttered comments from the bloke on the wharf on the lines of \"Son, if I ever do anything that bl**dy stupid, feed me to the sharks\":pinch:). Ahh well, a bloke can only try!!

Post edited by: Cliffy, at: 2007/08/27 22:22

Gee, Good thing I didn't rock up for a sharking effort then hey...

All whilst reading your report I was hoping you'd got something substantial. Oh well, better luck next time mate! Don't let those guys put you off mate, there's plenty of things in schulz canal to take a large bait. Although, Im wondering where Schulz Canal's rays are?:S

about his final comment: easily done. Just throw him in the water.

Thanks for the support Terry - and you're right about the rays, I normally hit at least a couple up there...maybe something to do with the recent unseasonal weather flushing the system? And don't think it hadn't crossed my mind to give him a swimming lesson...:whistle:

Better luck next time Cliffy.

It's not important, I'm just curious but is there any specific area where Nudgee Creek \"ends\" and Schulz Canal \"starts\" or are the two terms used interchangeably.

I've always just assumed Schulz had the manmade banks and Nudgee had the natural creekbanks.

Just curious.

Thanks

P.S. I know what part of the jetty you were fishing from; went past today and the Council were putting a manhole cover over where your sinker was sitting on the timbers;) . Just kidding.

Nafa: None of that big part is \"Nudgee Creek\".

Nudgee Creek is the small one across the road.

I believe it goes like this: The bay (can't remember it's name I think it's a smaller bay, not Moreton.) - Kedron Brook Floodway (where Cliffy was fishing) - Schulz Canal - Kedron Brook

TerryH wrote:

Nafa: None of that big part is \"Nudgee Creek\".

Nudgee Creek is the small one across the road.

I believe it goes like this: The bay (can't remember it's name I think it's a smaller bay, not Moreton.) - Kedron Brook Floodway (where Cliffy was fishing) - Schulz Canal - Kedron Brook

Thanks Terry - good job nobody relies on me for directions :pinch:

No problem Cliffy. Don't worry - I just incorrectly call the whole creek Schulz Canal. I don't see the point in using many names for the one creek, it only confuses some people.

I can't remember exactly where abouts it turns from Kedron Brook Floodway to Schulz Canal. If anyone has been down the floodway in their boat, they would have noticed the width gets reduced down to 1/3 almost instantly. A little bit further up there's a X intersection, with a smaller creek and an even smaller canal running from the main water system.I think it's at this point that it becomes Schulz Canal. Then somewhere down near Toombul shopping centre it becomes Kedron Brook.

Like I said, for simplicity sake I call it all Schulz Canal.

Archived