Lake Keepit Yellas

Clevo_31

Hey all, been a while since I posted anything up on here mostly due to moving to a new state and not having much time to fish. I know most people on here are from Brissy, but thought I would post up some pics of my recent trips to Keepit Dam (between Tamworth and Gunnedah NSW) anyway. If your ever down this way and have a boat/kayak I highly recommend a trip there!

Here's a few pictures, managed 4 Yellas over 2 trips (my first ever Golden Perch and experience fishing in the freshwater for anything but carp), all on FLT Transams. Love this lure, they seem to love it very slowly retrieved through structure. We fished early mornings too.

yellowbelly.jpg

yellowbelly1.jpg

yellowbellytransam.jpg

The lure that did the damage. Of course I lost it to a snag and do you think I can find another one in this colour? Of course not -_-

yellowbellykayak.jpg

Sorry the image is so far away, its the only one we got as the fish decided that the release part of catch and release fishing should arrive early.

At one stage my mate lost a TN65 to what I can only assume was a decent cod. I've never seen a 10kg rod pulled over so hard and quickly in my life, snapped the braid where it was very slightly frayed. He got a few more bumps at the same snag afterwards but no hookups =(

Thats it for my adventures down in Mexico for now, hopefully getting myself a boat soon, and am looking forward to trying out a few threadybusters down here that I've just got my hands on!

Cheers,

Jordan

Keepit is an awesome lake and I fished it a fair bit over the years that I lived down that way.

We have caught some ripper cod out of there when the water is good with no Blue Green Algae blooms.

Another good lake down that way that is worth a visit is Copeton Dam.

It is a fantastic fishery and you can also walk the river below the dam and catch some nice trout.

Have heard good things about Copeton just this last week, as I was up at Glen Innes for work. Did do some fishing but only managed 11 odd 6-10cm redfin haha!

Sorry about that Angus, momentary lack of thought lol.

I actually live near the Macdonald river about 40km out of Tamworth, which I'm told has a few trout in it and it certainly looks like trout habitat. But so far I have kayaked a bit of it and done some fishing and not seen any, or even had a bump. Saw a couple of Platypus though which was cool. Not sure on the laws but I might give bait fishing in it a go, could be that I'm just too loud flicking lures around.

Jordan

Another good lake down that way that is worth a visit is Copeton Dam.

Copeton is good if you dont mind working very, very hard for your fish as its such a huge dam, there is alot of water to cover. Also if you dont mind catching 9000000000000 Redfin. (Which incidentally i dont, they are good fun)

Ive caught some big yellas at keepit too.

Another dam to check out is splitrock dam. The yellas should be firing at the moment.

Yeah, there's not a lot of places to access the Macdonald, and even with a kayak I find that the water is either too low to pass through some of the rocks, or too high to be comfortable getting back up the rapids the flow makes.

To be honest, I don't really mind what I catch down here as I rarely eat S/W fish, let alone anything from the fresh. Just tastes too muddy to me, a fillet of flathead any day! So Redfin and Carp are always welcome, and the carp down here put in one hell of a fight. I've had hooks pulled and 50lb braid snapped by some in the Coburn!!

And yeah Chaffey is $2 a night camping, pretty basic but a nice area nonetheless.

Angus, always up for a fish mate so let us know if your ever down this way!

Cheers,

Jordan

Archived