Manly Saturday 12th Aug

blue_mako

hey guys...

as you probably heard me, nabeel and ando went for a fish down at manly today.... day started off early... getting up at 430 to get ready then walk to the bus stop and so forth.... arrived to manly jetty at around 715... there was a slight breeze blowing but not enough to ruin the day...

2nd cast... tap tap tap zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz surprisingly a good fight by a pike around 40cms... as well as this one the pike today fought exceptionally well and one of nabeels toping 45cm with another 5 or 6 over the 40cm mark.... a few mins later ando is on for a pike around 30cms... and then another...

as the pike were around i decided to change to a halco twisty 10gram slug as everyone tells me its easy to get pike on any type of lure... 2nd cast once again a good fight by a pike at 37cms... he mad for a quick and easy release by doing it himself when he was up on the deck... then switched back to a plastic as i had acheived my first fish on a slug... then caught a pike a few casts later...

i needed to go off to the boys room and while i was gone ando nailed to more pike... not sure on length but \"smaller then mine\" he said...

nabeel had arrived so mine and andos little comp had finished at 3 pike troy 4 pike ando...

after nabeel arrived i change my possie and a few casts later get some knocks from something a bit different... i drop it on the first strike but as soon as it was put back down tap tap... strike! the calls were 'i see silver' 'its a bream' not its a gt' no its a bigeye' and thats what it was... a little big eye trev at 26cms...

nabeel then hooked up on 3 trevs around the same size... making it 1 3 to nabeel.... nabeel went a bit quiet for awhile only landing 2 more pike whereas ando and i nailed a few more big eyes and pike... these pike 'werent just swimming towards me' as nabeel said they would.. well ill admit a few did but any one over 35 went 8000 head shakes a minute....

before we decied to move the score was... troy on 9 ando on 7 and nabeel on 5...

we went to what is now my new favourite spot after today called spot o' 1 meter plus long tom... we walked a short while... as i was in front i gave a massive scare to a big 1m+ long tom... splashing from 1m from the bank and out to about 5m.... though he didnt seem to go out further so out with the plastics we went... a had first flik since i noticed him first and was on my game :P he notices the splash and chimp chomp down goes my plastic into his gob... but missed him obviously because of there long snout nose and out came the hook and beaten up plastic that had maybe 20 or 30 holes in it from the rest of the pike...

nabeel throws his in and chomp chomp down with his plastic and once again missed... with my beaten up plastic i throw it back out... same thing happens chomp chomp... though this time i left him have it for 2 or 3m then strike.... got him! with the same head shakes of a fresh water eel out comes the long toms head and shake shake shake... my jighead is sent flighing with no fish :( off he went without another fight :(... we thought that maybe it was just luck that there was a 1m+ long tom cruising the shallows so we moved on up to the rocky bits of spot o' 1 meter long tom...

nabeels says this is probably one of the best spots in manly... wel no nabeel it wasnt :P we got zero zilch nothing and some foreigners got a gar on bread... i also got a snag and lost my leader and all... as i was re tying my rig nabeel and ando went walking further back down to spot o' 1 meter plus long tom.... nabeel had already has his slug on as he was aiming on a pike... ando had a plastic... they noticed a long tom but with no response came the long tom... as soon as i walked down to where they were fishing nabs casts out his slug 50m out retreives it quite rapidly and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz splash splash splash that same 1m+ long tom was back.... it didnt seem to matter what type of lure was in front of its nose... as long as it saw a splash and it moved it was all over it... but still no prevail strate thru the 6lb leader the massive tom went...

soon after ando is like 'got one!' but false alarm... just got his slug tangled... next cast 'i got one!' this time it was one... the first one landed going the smalest for the day but still a good tom at 61cms!

we thought that would be all it after we thought the only long tom there was swimming around with a 15g slug in its mouth :( we were all wrong... on went my new 24 carrot gold 10gram halco twisty out she went... 1st cast went nice and quick but not rapid over the weed beds with no result... 2nd cast went at least 40m out reeled it rapidly and stopped at 20m in and let it drop... still nothing... i do the same acept let it drop 2m from my feet... as it fluters down out of no where from the right a decent 70cm or so long tom makes a nice arrival by eating my slug... still i missed him and off he went with a splash

at one peak moment we had literally 20 masive toms 5-10m out... insane stuf!!! every cast bang, every jig bang... ended the day with all 7 or so slugs in fishes mouths :( there razor teeth was the only thing stopping us... me, nabs and ando all got 2 each on slugs the smalest being mats tom at 61cms....

the tide went down... water was near nil so decied to move... went for a walk to the mouth of manly boat harbour... i caught 2 more pike on slugs and ando got one more on my slug... went back to the jetty got a few more pike and i got a trev and missed a tailor...

all up it was an awesome day for all of us... just watch eachother catch big toms was incredible! total tally for manly was... troy 1st on 18 fish (including andos and my comp) ando on 12 or 13 fish and nabeel on 8... we showed u this time at ur home ground nabs!

troy

p.s. longtoms fight good! :P and pics are coming

Hey

Yeah it was an awesome day. U know if u dont count pike i actually got the same amount of fish as you troy.. and pike are worthless so they shudnt count. :P yeh and the pics do give the spot away though.. but oh well u need skill to catch these fish so any of you that are planning on catching some be prepared to spend a lot of time casting:laugh:

and if any of you guys do catch these fish make sure you do release em... no point keeping em.

P.S me and photos dont go well together

Cheers

oh and heres a close up of my one [img size=492]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Untitled_2_copy.jpg

Post edited by: nabs, at: 2006/08/12 21:29

post-107-14459840025_thumb.jpg

Archived