Mowing?

getrigged

Hi guys,

I've had a gut full of my current sales job and am looking at buying a mowing franchise, probably a jims.

I currently run a tiny mowing run of 20 customers on the weekend with my brother in law, so I know what is expected regarding the hard, hot, wet, dusty, cold work!

My question is, has anyone heard anything good or bad about these guys, or other franchises?

Thanks in advance

;)

Don't go with a franchise! There are many stories about the one you mentioned, here is a link to a good forum.

/>http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/index.php?referrerid=9

I used to cut lawns before moving into Teaching.

Here are a few tips I learn't along the way;

1. Make sure you have insurance.

2. Some customers dictate to you when they want their lawn done (say every 8 weeks!) and expect to pay the same money as a lawn cut every 3 weeks.

3. Good gear is essential, Honda and Kawasaki (mowers) Shindaiwa, Tanaka Kawasaki to name a few for other equipment. Stihl and others are good but I tend to stick with the above mentioned.

4. Four stroke brush/whipper snipers are quieter but heavier and after a long day it really does take a toll.

5. I used a 8x5 trailer and some wool bail bags (these are great)

I know that this may not be an issue for you but some of the franchise owners try to reduce their competition by "dobbing in" other mowers that look like cash in hand.

6. Be careful in leaving your gear out of sight, many a person has had items pinched.

For me I had a great time, really enjoyed focusing on doing a good job. I included general spraying (roundup/Ally) as part of the service. I wanted to try to introduce mulching to the customers as this would reduce the take away waste. I don't know if you have to pay for dumping but it can really add up in our costs.

I charged $45.00 per lawn [2010](up to around 750 sq meters or around 24 perches. A small amount of hedging, pick up of all clippings, poisoning and cleaning paths with blower.

Good Luck

Thanks forreplying guys.

I should have mentioned that the reason I'm leaning toward a franchise is that they offer an income guarantee, $1600'a week in jims case, so if business is slow and you only turnover $900 they give you the $700(handy in the startup process, but jimsin ongoing)The other thing is, jims customers seem to be happyto pay more, I charge $40-45 depending on size, they charge min $55.

I have had a look on that ind mowing franchise forum before, and seen them bagging jim out, but I suspect it's a bit of us vs them mentality/tall poppy stuff?. My point being, if you jumped on a jims forum , for example, they would all be against the independents saying they are dodgy etc

A franchise naturally has fees, but I think it evens out and then some in favour, plus when you want to get out you have a brand to sell with it?

How much do they want upfront ? How much could you do in the business for the same money ? What do they make you do that is not necessary or can be done cheaper your own way ?

As a professional, I always ended up advising against mowing franchise purchases. They are simple businesses. If you need help getting it sorted and setting up pricing and processes then a professional can help you out for a fraction of the franchise cost. The revenue is then all yours.

Seek professional advice. It may cost you a few dollars but will probably save you much bigger dollars.

Oh and in reply to your questions,

I haven't got info from them yet, but I believe $25k upfront and $500 month ongoing, this $25k, less gear,say $15k could fund my advertising and say 8-9 weeks of the $1600wk guarantee, but like binder says, it'll slow soon. If i went solo, I'd be biting fingernails lie a mofo for that 8 weeks waiting for the phone to ring!

Do you mind if I ask what profession you're in ellicat? And why you advised against?

I mow lawns in Hervey Bay there are 2 of us and i have 170 clients i wouldnt go with jims mowing because every time you get a job call through the switch board it cost you $9 even if you dont get the job i got a mate that is with Jims and that is what he pays so it is costly get all the details first we only use honda 4 stroke gear and all my work is with zero turn mowers no push mowing its to hard :lol:

Damn, 170 is pumping in summer! I use the honda gear too, amazing stuff hey, do you use walker ghs for the zeros? I heard you could turn the lead thing on/off, I'd pay that for a good customer, people pay heaps more for them here, like multiples of cut value. I'd pay $1600 for your client base!! Actually I'd pay $30k+ :blink:

No i dont use a walker i use toro mowers and a 30'' Husky with catcher i like it because i can get through small gates walkers dont suit my work yeh i no that you can turn leads on or off but when you start your own business the money you make is yours no franchise fees all the best mate you make a good $$$ out of it if done rite :lol:

I really don't see the value in most franchises other than fast food, especially when you say you are already in the business. Instead of giving that 25k to Jim's, couldn't that be your income guarantee and you live off that when times are slow?

My advice would be to look as professional as possible, that will put you above a lot of your competition. Get a proper logo made up, and create a simple webpage. (if you are happy to outsource it overseas, you can get someone to do both of them for about $200) It gives you a lot more credibility over your competition.

Get your logo on your car, trailer and shirt then use the $500 a week you were going to pay Jim's to do a bit of your own marketing.

(p.s I don't know jack about the mowing biz, but I do run 3 businesses)

Oh and in reply to your questions,

I haven't got info from them yet, but I believe $25k upfront and $500 month ongoing, this $25k, less gear,say $15k could fund my advertising and say 8-9 weeks of the $1600wk guarantee, but like binder says, it'll slow soon. If i went solo, I'd be biting fingernails lie a mofo for that 8 weeks waiting for the phone to ring!

Do you mind if I ask what profession you're in ellicat? And why you advised against?

I was an Accountant/Business Advisor with 25 years business experience. Now I do nothing :woohoo:

I was just trying to steer you to save you some money. Some of the other guys' replies are on the same track. Too big a topic/decision to be answered on a forum though. :)

I did a couple of years mowing, set it up myself with a few local adds then it took off and I was knocking back work as we didnt want to get too busy. I used all Honda gear and large trailer, even had to buy a safe :lol: I personally wouldnt go with a franchise as someone elsse said youre making money for them, try by yourself for 6 months and then if no good try a franchise I think if you do a good job and advertise well word of mouth works well and you'll be okay.

Archived