New to AFO and new to Brisbane

BlueBoy

Hi all,

Just moved here after a year in Sydney, originally from Melbourne. Had a ripper year chasing kings and Jewies in Sydney, and used to chase mainly bream and Jewies in Vic.

I've got a little 4.5m polycraft kitted out for fishing, and can't wait to get out here and learn about fishing the bay - it certainly seems like a lot of water to learn.

Anyway, I often have room for a deckie, and am happy to cover fuel etc for any locals in return for a bit of local knowledge. I'm really keen to chase snapper, cobia, tuna and Jewies. I live in inner north brisbane, and was thinking of launching at Scarborough?

Any tips on where to launch/start out or anyone whose keen to come out with me, please let me know.

BlueBoy. (Carlton, not NSW!)

post-12551-14459896395_thumb.jpg

Hi Blueboy,

Welcome mate and that is a great looking rig you have there. Perfect for the bay. You are right there is plenty of water to explore, make sure you get a map showing the green zones so you don't get caught out. I am on the southside and don't fish the Northern bay very much but plenty of guys on here do so I am sure you won't have any dramas getting a deckie to show you around.

Good Luck mate,

Bill

Welcome to the site. You will find most people here very friendly. That's a great rig for this part of the world, will be fine for chasing the macks during summer as well on close reefs.

Your only problem is you have moved to the Northside, you will find most people you meet from that side of the bridge to be a little strange, and they also talk very slow.

Can't help you with spots that side, but if you ever come over to the Bayside I might be able to show you some of the more popular spots that you can start from. As you know it's always best in built up area's to find your own spots over time.

you will find most people you meet from that side of the bridge to be a little strange, and they also talk very slow.

Typical Southsider :ohmy: :P

The closest place for you to launch would be Pinkenba ramp. This gives you easy access to the mouth of Brissy, The port (these are very good areas to chase Jew and Big Brissy river Threadys) You can then go out the mouth of the river and fish the rockwall, Mud Island and the reefs around the top of moreton on good days.

I live inner north as well, id be keen to meet up sometime for a fish.

Mate great info and welcome aboard!

I am about to head off on an overseas trip but will be happy to help out more when I get back. I am no expert but I reckon I can get you onto some bay snaps and other mixed species.

Also check out the Moreton Bay Classic. Pretty low key event and a great way to meet other AFO'ers!

Angus

Welcome aboard. I am also a north side person. On a good day you can access a lot of water with that boat. Jarryd is right Pinkenba is a good place to launch. Scarborough has some good shallow reefs in close. Be careful some are not marked well. The Beacons on the shipping channel off the western side of Moreton Island can produce as well as Curtain Reef. The Current is pretty strong so the turn of the tide is the best times. The bay may be a big expanse of water but there are some shallow areas so a GPS/Card or Beacon to Beacon is a good place to start getting to know the bay.

Welcome to AFO.

This is an awesome forum where you will be able to learn a lot about the area quickly. Just ask and there will always be an answer. I'm also from the north side and fish whenever and as often as I can. If you ever need a deckie to help out, drop me pm. I'd be more than willing to fish with you. Weekdays are a bit crazy, but weekends are always good. I'm sure you'll make lots of friends on AFO and i'm sure you'll get onto some big fish soon.

Kind Regards

J.R

Archived