Fishing Cook Islands

tazzy.

Hey guys, I'm heading over to Rarotonga in the Cook Islands in the first week in September and was wondering if anyone had been. I'm going to take a travel rod over and some plastics for a flick around the place and am definitely looking to get out on a charter to chase some monsters. Any recommendations on charter company or spots to have a fish would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

dunno about specific spots to fish in Raratonga, but when I was stationed in the pacific in Tarawa and Suva I found very small plastics to be the best land based, around wharf and reef structures. What outfished absolutely everything for me was the Berkley 2" powerbait minnows in the translucent light blue colour on a 1/12oz size 2H TT jighead. Let sink to the bottom, two very aggressive rips, and sink to the bottom again etc etc. I spent two years over there fishing plastics in the lagoon pretty much every evening and that specific setup outfished absolutely everything- to the point that once I got my technique absolutely perfect I was catching that much that there was a huge rumour going around amongst the locals that I had fishing magic powers :huh:

Archived