Fishin the Pin (Tuesday 23/8/2013)

Hein

Hey guys,

I took last Tuesday off due to the crackin weather we've been having (and to have a 2 day mid-week break thanks to the Ekka)...

A mate and I decided to take his tinny out and go fish the Pin for a few hours.

So we left a little later then we should of and ended up getting there around 9.00am... My mate was fishing with bait all day (using pillies) and I fished with plastics all day.

I searched my bag for some leader and all I had was some 8 pound fluro-carbon!!! :unsure: This was going to make things interesting!!!

So fist fish of the day went to my mate... We drifted along one of my spots and my mate thought he was snagged up... I thought to myself, there's nothing here to get snagged on... Then look over at his rod and see some big wide head shakes and scream out 'YOU'RE ON A FISH!!!'... As her's bringing the fish in, line starts peeling off... Eventually, I bring it to the surface and it was a nice sized flatty... I say to him 'you got a net?' and he replies 'NO!!!' :ohmy: So in panic, I grab a plastic bag to try and use that as a net and I almost tipped the boat leaning over in excitement!!! I didn't want to lift it straight in as again, we were fishing with 8 pound leader all day and the fish was gut hooked... But we had no choice and had to lift it in!!! So as we lift it into the boat, the leader snaps but we landed the fish!!! High fives all round!!!

post-10615-144598980714_thumb.jpg

Next cast, was mine as my mate was sorting himself out and I landed a nice 39cm flatty.

post-10615-144598980742_thumb.jpg

Then I got on a bit of a roll, pulling in 3 flatties!!! All under sized flatties but!!!

post-10615-144598980747_thumb.jpg

post-10615-14459898075_thumb.jpg

post-10615-144598980754_thumb.jpg

After that, we changed spots and anchored up in a little sheltered area as the wind picked up.

This was one of my mates spots and I wasn't too sure about it as I hadn't fished there much but thought we'd give it a go. First cast and my mate was on!!! Another nice sized flatty going 53cm!!! and at this stage, I was getting a bit jealous as I hadn't caught a sized fish yet!!! :huh:

post-10615-144598980758_thumb.jpg

post-10615-144598980762_thumb.jpg

Again as my mate is sorting out his fish, I was determined to get a decent flatty. I cast out and felt the slightest bump and I struck like there's no tomorrow!!! Felt a fair bit of weight but not much of a fight (almost felt like a wet sock!!! hahaha)... But as I got it closer to the boat, I had a few good runs... Realising it was perfectly hooked in the side of the mouth, we just lifted her in. It went 55cm (woohoo, biggest fish of the day went to me!!!).

See below for more photos!!!

Continued...

Here's a pic of my 55 cm flatty...

post-10615-144598980766_thumb.jpg

post-10615-144598980771_thumb.jpg

After that, things went quiet and we decided to call it quits for the day. We ended up keeping 3 for a feed!!!

Was an awesome day out and things are looking good for this flathead season coming up!!! Can't wait to get out again!!!

Cheers for reading guys and gals!!! Tight lines to you all!!! :P

Nice work mate. I find 8lb perfect when lure fishing for flathead as the lure action is more natural and shy fish are more likely to hit the lure. Watching u try to net a fish with a plastic bag would have been a good laugh ;-)

If the weather is good next weekend I might just have to head down the pin for a bit of the actIon if they are firing up! Thanks for the report

Nice work mate. I find 8lb perfect when lure fishing for flathead as the lure action is more natural and shy fish are more likely to hit the lure. Watching u try to net a fish with a plastic bag would have been a good laugh ;-)

If the weather is good next weekend I might just have to head down the pin for a bit of the actIon if they are firing up! Thanks for the report

Yeah I tend to not go over 10 pound because that way I can fish for bream also without having to change leader!!! LOL... (Lazy)

The Pin is starting to fire up!!! Can't wait for next month when the real action should begin!!!

P.S. How's the T-Curve going mate???

Archived