northpine dam & lake kurwongbah

freedomhawk12

just a question if someone can direct me to where I could find this information out?

this week we had a gentleman come into the shop who claimed to be a member of the PRFMA and advised Dan that bait was not allowed to be used in either of these dams?

he claimed they are lure usage only due to the dam being a water supply ect ect.

this has concerned Dan as he Is looking to stock live shrimp and and worms, but worried about telling people they can use them in these dams if this is not the case?

as I explained to Dan im positive that npd is now classified as flood mitigation and I couldn't see an issue with using dead or alive bait ( worms and shrimp )

maybe someone can confirm or deny and also direct me to where I can get official confirmation of this? as we don't want to give wrong advise that may cause someone to get into trouble.

From the BAS permit rules.

" n) not to translocate any aquatic life into the lake (i.e. all aquatic species of live bait used must be caught in the lake);"

In general you are not allowed to translocate aquatic species between lakes because of the danger of introducing disease or noxious species .

To my mind live worms would not be classified as aquatic.

For a definitive answer you would have to request a ruling from DEEDI. I would recommend that you contact deedi

With the presence of cabomba in Kurwongbah care has to be taken.

I also note that live shrimp are sold as bait at quite a lot of different dam stores.

Cheers

Ray

SEQWater position is you cant use live bait in one of their dams unless it has been caught in that Dam.

This is usually ignored by most, as it is not a Fisheries rule, Fisheries only specify from the same catchment.

Most of the bass caught in North Pine dam are caught on shrimp.

Most people with permits will run their own pots anyway, your potential sales would most likely be bank fisho's. It is not illegal for them to use shrimp caught elsewhere from the catchment, but I would still warn customers that a condition of entry to a SEQ Water dam is to follow their rules.

Archived