Pull ya finger out Tony!

Binder

From: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/senators-line-up-with-tony-abbott-to-axe-taxes/story-fn59niix-1226733284477#sthash.NV1eVKIj.dpuf

Legislation to axe the carbon tax will be introduced in the first parliamentary sitting, expected in mid-November.

TONY Abbott will have the numbers to scrap the carbon and mining taxes from July next year after the Palmer United Party and three crossbench senators confirmed they would back his mandate, eliminating the threat of a double-dissolution election.

As the Prime Minister won support to repeal Labor's carbon pricing regime, he said the Greens' loss of the balance of power in the upper house was a "great political achievement for the Coalition".

The Coalition will have 33 votes in the 76-seat chamber when the make-up of the new Senate begins on July 1. It means Mr Abbott, who has a substantial majority in the House of the Representatives, will need the support of six of the eight crossbench senators to pass his agenda.

The PUP, which has three senators subject to the outcome of an appeal by the Greens in Western Australia, along with the Liberal Democratic Party, Democratic Labour Party and Family First senators confirmed to The Weekend Australian that they would vote to abolish the carbon and mining taxes.

The LDP's incoming senator David Leyonhjelm said: "I guarantee I'll vote in favour of repealing both of those. I'll vote for any reduction in taxes."

Family First's senator-elect Bob Day said: "If the Labor Party has got any sense, it will recognise just what's happened in the last three years on both the mining tax and the carbon tax and vote for the repeal of both. If they don't and Abbott has to wait until July 1, I certainly will be voting for their repeal."

The PUP's West Australian senator-elect, Zhenya Wang, reaffirmed the formal position of Clive Palmer's party to scrap the taxes, saying "the carbon tax is punishing ordinary Australian people".

DLP senator John Madigan said: "Basically, I'm not in favour of the carbon tax."

With the Coalition able to pass its two key election commitments next year, Mr Abbott avoids the prospect of forcing Australians back to the polls for a double-dissolution election.

However, the Coalition is expected to bring on an early vote to repeal the carbon tax, thereby forcing Labor to take a formal position in parliament. Environment Minister Greg Hunt said: "Our focus is on Labor and whether it will listen to the Australian people or ignore the strong message sent by the electorate at the election. No matter who leads Labor, every day they support the carbon tax is another day they support higher electricity prices."

Archived