What To Troll Behind A Yacht Heading South

kitacooch

Hey peeps, been a while, got a new old boat up and running will be back on the water this week. :woohoo:

My father in law is sailing to Sydney next week and wants to troll 1 rig only out the back, just wondering on what peoples thoughts are of what to troll now and what you would keep in the kit. Baring in mind this guy isn't really a fisho but wouldn't mind catching something to eat in his travels.

Cheers for your help.

Terry's on it, speed will determine what he trolls out the back. Although you can get high speed hard body lures.

I presume the water south of us will be colder, we hav'nt got pelagics here yet. Maybe Tuna would be in numbers further south.

To take a selection would get quite costly if he is not a lure addict like most on here.

I could go with him and I will take all my lures. :whistle:

having had a little experience trolling behind yachts, I would look at something like a halco laser pro, x-rap magnum or halco trembler (or similar). The reason for this is they are tolerant of regular speed changes without losing their action. Also having a lure designed to swim tends to work better with the heeling over thing, far more tolerant of changes in angle than skirted lures generally are.

I helped sail a yacht back after the Bris-Gladstone this year, found the most successful lure was the trembler for mackeral (until I lost it on a small marlin) while the laser pros worked best for the tuna. We were only doing 8-10kn most of the time though.

Archived