Yamba - Whiting On The Surface :)

Angus

Great weekend this last one past...

post-63-144599013857_thumb.jpg

Headed down to Yamba to stay with mate. Henry was invited as well so we had the boat, the gear and the enthusiasm.

I squeezed in a session on the rocks before the other lads got down there and before the weather changed resulting in a few bream and an interesting looking "tusk fish" of some type.

post-63-144599013783_thumb.jpg

post-63-144599013794_thumb.jpg

After that the lads rocked up and it was time for dinner at the awesome Pacific Hotel...

The next day, the one thing that went wrong though the weather. In fact we when we woke for the dawn session we all looked at each other, then the 30 knots winds and heavy rain and all commented it was a good idea to bring cartons...

After another hours or so sleep the rain stopped and the wind eased to a pleasant 25 knots so we thought we give it a scout. Land based on the river we found a little bay that was slightly protected so we have it a crack. Within minutes the whiting were a biting and this was the tactic employed by all. We all landed some, we all lost some and Pat, our mate who had never caught one went from 0 to 3 surface whiting in half an hour which was pretty sweet.

post-63-144599013803_thumb.jpg

post-63-14459901381_thumb.jpg

post-63-144599013817_thumb.jpg

Full of reinvigorated enthusiasm we decided to put the bot in and find more bays like this one...

Day ended with a big mixed bag of flatties, whiting and bream caught which was converted into a great feed of fish, chips and salad for dinner. Good times!

post-63-144599013826_thumb.jpg

post-63-144599013832_thumb.jpg

post-63-144599013841_thumb.jpg

post-63-144599013848_thumb.jpg

man whiting on topwater is so awesome. The visual of watching them when they are aggressive and chasing down your lure is awesome and then very frustrating when they either don't hook up or turn away at the last second.

Unfortunately for me I don't know of too many close places where you can get the consistently on topwater.

Was a great weekend despite the 20knot winds. We made the best of it. Unfortunately we didn't get to have a crack at any jewies because the winds were too rough for us to sit in the deeper channels. Ah well. Next time.

man whiting on topwater is so awesome. The visual of watching them when they are aggressive and chasing down your lure is awesome and then very frustrating when they either don't hook up or turn away at the last second.

Unfortunately for me I don't know of too many close places where you can get the consistently on topwater.

Was a great weekend despite the 20knot winds. We made the best of it. Unfortunately we didn't get to have a crack at any jewies because the winds were too rough for us to sit in the deeper channels. Ah well. Next time.

with the right tide/conditions, the sandbank/flats opposite the homestead caravan park/holidayvillage at Chinderah on the Tweed, from the green buoy down, is always worth a check. plenty of seagrass beds around it, flatties love the area also

• 2 years later...

Archived