Spotties at Mermaid Sat Sun

Peter.T

With the weather looking so good for the weekend I couldn't resist having a look for some mackerel. Haven't seen any good mackerel reports off Goldie of late and was unsure of what to expect. Headed out Saturday morning with the girlfriend who was very keen to catch a fish. got to mermaid just after 6 with not many boats there and dropped anchor, wasn't long and the only live yakka we had got smashed and after 30sec spat the hooks. about half an hour later and the action began with the pillies doing the damage and some fancy rod swapping between the gf so i could land the gaff shots. ended up with 7 spotties 2 hammerheads and 1 tailor for the morning all in about 2.5hours. all fish were released except the spotties B)

post-11012-144599038642_thumb.jpg

post-11012-14459903865_thumb.jpg

post-11012-144599038654_thumb.jpg

After well hydration that saturday night my mate was keen to get into the action and after a late start at the ramp at 8am we headed for the same spot on mermaid. only 10 minutes from getting there and the bite had started and the spotties were everywhere, could see schools swimming under the boat seen 3 jump out of the water chasing the slug and seen 1 swim past as i threw a pillie in its direction turned around and swam slowly towards the pillie before nailing it was just awesome. Pulled up the anchor just after 10 as the bite had stopped and headed home with 9 spotties. I let my mate keep all the fish after i helped clean them and the boat. The mackerel season is still really good although the water looked a little green the temp was still over 260 and would recommend getting out there as soon as you can. Thanks for reading and now back to reality and off to work :pinch:

post-11012-144599038661_thumb.jpg

Archived