New England Cod Autumn 2014

fenelious

I've been a bit slack getting this report up, but here it is a few weeks late.

Last winter I put a pack on my back and walked for 3 days fishing for Cod in the gorges. I had such a good time I could only wait til this Autumn to do it again, this time in a different spot.

The first evening I got this one:

post-4887-144599052158_thumb.jpg

The next day this was the only fish I got:

post-4887-144599052168_thumb.jpg

Day 3 was a lot better:

post-4887-144599052178_thumb.jpg

post-4887-144599052188_thumb.jpg

post-4887-144599052198_thumb.jpg

post-4887-144599052204_thumb.jpg

post-4887-14459905221_thumb.jpg

post-4887-144599052216_thumb.jpg

And these on the last morning before the long hike back:

post-4887-144599052222_thumb.jpg

post-4887-144599052228_thumb.jpg

I'm starting to experiment with taking a bit of video footage. I took a fair bit with a hand cam, most of it was garbage, but I did have one or two clips that might be worth a look. I couldn't seem to be able to attach the video to the report though so nothing....

-Steve.

/>http://youtu.be/f0YaEgKTyeU

Yeah that works, thanks Ellicat.

And another one:

/>http://youtu.be/apNQvE6QUQk

That day two fish has an interesting pattern. Looks like a leopard! Perfectly formed large spots! Never seen that before.

Yeah, I only noticed that now that you point it out, not at the time. He was the smallest fish of the whole lot (41cm), so maybe it's something to do with being a juvenile.

Thanks for the report! Loving seeing cod reports as it makes me want to get back out that way again to get another green fish! Just wondering what lures you have been finding the most successful?

Thanks, James

I like bibbed hardbodies mostly, provided they get down near the bottom or across the top of weed. I use Mudeye Happy, Mudeye Mohawk, Stumpjumpers and the occasional OarGee Plow or PeeWee. But I also use a lot the only Cod/Yella lure I've found that only dives 1-1.5m called the Gwyder Gobbler. I love it in shallow water, weedy water, and low light times instead of using surface. If anyone knows of another medium - large profile, wide wobbling, heavy vibration cod lure that dives less than 1.5m I'd like to know about it!

I also use a 1/2oz Bassman Codman spinnerbait quite a lot (seen in the 2nd video), but not as much as bibbed lures. Also bibless vibes are quite good to get down steep rock drop offs and deep water, I use Sebile Flat Shads and the Jackall Doozer. I usually give the surface a go in low light, although I get few strikes and even less hookups - a large jointed Abogast Jitterbug or a Kingfisher Mantis (both are paddlers).

-Steve.

Pick them up they worn hurt you, better than laying on the hot dry rocks or at least wet bragmat, nive fish very

jealous

Yeah I understand it's not good to lay them on hot dry rocks. In my lame defence the rocks are pretty cool in this part of the world and time of year, and if the rock is dry the fish is only on it for a few seconds it takes to take a photo, I do most of the handling with the fish partly in the water. However I should make a bit more effort to wet the rock before laying the fish over it definitely, I'll be more careful to do that in future.

The photo method you see here is really the only decent way I find I can do it - I can't pick the fish up cos I only have one hand (camera in the other) and I don't want to hang him in the air by the mouth, especially when they're a bit bigger, I think that would be worse, and it makes a crap photo. It's not practical to carry and use a brag mat when you're backpacking for days - bulk and weight limitations are vital, I use a tiny tape measure. If I wasn't alone I'd do it differently.

-Steve.

Archived