Hitting the bay Sunday

rathabfishin2

Hello all. I have decided to hit tge bay tomorrow and get away from chasing BR jew.

The plan is to launch at POB around 4:30-4:45 and head out to mud or harries depending on wind direction and tiredness. After the sun is right up I would like to chase some winter tings.

I didn't have much luck with the bay snapper last year so any helpful hints on where to target would be greatly appreciated.

Also tried mud for winter whiting a couple of weeks ago but no luck so any info on a general area to try to find them would be great.

I will be solo in a 4.2m Quintrex Renegade so if you're out feel free to say hi.

Tight lines!

Andrew

HI Andrew,

Its looking like a great day tomorrow, so if head to harries, head further east and try for the tings in rous channel, drift from the channel onto the sand flats, you will find the tings there. They usually hang in around 3-5m, but do a couple of drifts and you will work out what epth and where they are quickly :)

Good luck

Cam

I have had good success on fat winter whiting on the south eastern corner of mud. Try around 50-150 m out but dont drift that reef section or you will just grt pickers. . We just drifted with the gulp sandworms on a paternoster rig on light leader. A small pea size sinker is all that you need and stops you dragging up grass.

For snapper harries is ok but it gets flogged especially on the good weather like today. Id be more inclined to go further south and fish the channels around peel.

How was the fog out there early? I had a delayed start to let it clear. Fished out the front of the reclaimed land for a couple of flathead and a few undersized tailor. Gets a bit expensive when those little critters move in and destroy light leader with tt jig heads. Beautiful day out though. The fisheries researcher at the boat ramp said there were not many fish caught today.

I left pob at 9. Maybe the fog was only on the land because I was talking to a friend who overnighted at Peel who also said no fog there. It was pretty thick around the city and most of the way to the ramp. The fishing was a bit slow but I do love a nice feed of beer battered flathead. Too many boats to troll my usual areas, but I did sneak a few runs in. No snapper but a couple of huge grinner. I hope we get more of this weather across winter. Here is a pic of one of the flathead and one of the grinner to show you the size of them.

post-2981-144599056851_thumb.jpg

post-2981-144599056859_thumb.jpg

Archived