11/07/14 quick report

Luvit

This report will have to be quick because I'm overseas and should be working :P

As it was the not bad forecast for Friday I got up early to find the wind still at 20knts :( I had a big breakfast which took me to 6.30 and by the time I arrived at the ramp the wind had dropped to 10knts and predicted to get better as the day went on.

The tuna didn't take long to show up and were feeding quite actively for the next 2 hrs. I got to cast at 2 schools where I was expecting to hook up but nothing. If it's not working I'll try something different. I tied on a weedless worm hook and unweighted 3.5 inch minnow, not much weight for casting but with the fish feeding well I thought I could get close enough.

I approached a school with the electric motor with the wind behind me, when they were in casting range I lobbed it high in the air for the wind to assist in carrying the light presentation. The tuna were still on the surface so an unweighted minnow got smashed with no hesitations. In the excitement I some how I knocked the anti reverse button on the reel and the handled spun back with some force . The drag was screaming and I had my little pinky jammed between the handle and the spool. I couldn't release the finger until the tuna stopped, a little skin was lost. :blush:

A 10 minute fight and I had the long tail ready for the net. Trying to net the Lt by myself was a little tricky because as the tuna head went into the net the hook in the side of the mouth caught in the net not allowing the fish to slide in fully. Anyway I got enough of the fish into the net then released the drag and tailed the fish into the boat.

One quick photo with phone and the fish was speared back into the water to terrorize more bait fish. The good thing is I got most of it on video again. I am getting an error trying to publish it at the moment so I'll do it when I get back to OZ.

post-11868-14459906084_thumb.jpg

I didn't get a measure because I wanted back in the water ASAP.

For the rest of the day I could not get within casting distance, they were so flighty and only hitting the surface very briefly. I saw a number of tuna just cruise past the boat after hitting one solitary fish and keep going.

It's still a thrill to see them flying through the water smashing bait and I was happy I had my fun.

Looking forward to the report from Winter camp when I get back.

Archived