Battery Amp/hour for a kayak electric outboard

Liquor Box

I have been looking for a new battery for my yak and spoke to Battery World- I am no electric expert so am unsure what i really need!

I was quoted $169 for a car size deep cycle 55 amp/hour 12V battery- Is this big enough? I know quite a few guys use a 130amp/hour but this is for their boats, and my yak weighs a lot less.

If someone could suggest the correct amp/hour for me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rough rule of thumb - pounds force from your motor equals how many amps it draws on full power (its a little less, but I did say rough!)

So if you have a 25 or 28 pounds thrust motor, you would get roughly 2 hours on full throttle with that size battery before it was flat.

The weight will make a big difference, because as you say will probably only rarely have it flat out.

I remember Lee saying that set on '1' his was still going to fast to troll effectively, he was switching it on and off to get the right speed. I reckon you would get a few hours trolling out of that size battery, then paddle home.

Archived