Moreton Bay whales

BrisBoater

Hi Guys

I'm just wondering if anyone could give me some insight on humpback whales within Moreton bay itself - I'm thinking about taking the family to go look for some. What area within the bay do humpbacks actually travel? Are you only likely to spot them at the extreme north end or do they really come down into the bay? How far south do they travel? Does anyone know if the Brisbane boat tours stay within the bay and where about they head?

Many thanks in advance.

Humpbacks don't usually come inside Moreton bay like they do up at Hervey bay, instead tend to migrate past on the ocean side of Moreton. These whales come very close to Cape Moreton, and from the lighthouse at the right time, you'd probably see scores on particular days. I'm sure the odd one does come inside the bay, like that lost calf that went all the way up the Brisbane River, but that is a rarity.

The whale boats tend to head off shore as well, as that's where the whales are. I'm pretty sure the whale tours use small spotter planes to find them, and tend to hang around the Flinders Reef area. I went out in July this year and saw dozens within the morning, however went out to the same area last Sunday and only saw one. The whales will be mostly up the coast by now, but should start heading south again soon.

Archived