For Info Of Live Bait Catch

Jun

Hey,there.I am new to this awesome fishing forum and also to Australia living in brizzy. I am very fond of fishing and Australia where exactly the amazing fishing spot.

I wanna to catch some live bait  for next fishing trip.I already know the prawn and poddy mullet can be good bait.Just wondering any other type of fish can used as live bait which have no size limit.It is a huge and complex job for me to learn the QLD fishing law and also have many question to ask from ur kind guys.thanks in advanced .

Cheers,Jun

Welcome to the forum and Australia. Where are you from? Good on you for checking out the local fishing laws, it is very important for the sustainability of our fisheries. A lot of people new to Australia completely ignore our rules.

I am personally not much help to you for tips on live bait as I am solely a lure fisherman.

Good luck and be sure to write a little report on your fishing sessions, good or bad. :)

Sam.

6 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

Welcome to the forum and Australia. Where are you from? Good on you for checking out the local fishing laws, it is very important for the sustainability of our fisheries. A lot of people new to Australia completely ignore our rules.

I am personally not much help to you for tips on live bait as I am solely a lure fisherman.

Good luck and be sure to write a little report on your fishing sessions, good or bad. :)

Sam.

Thanks mate for your reply.Please let me know if I have wrong words or sentence cause never using English for normal conversation but in scientific or technical research .And sometimes it maybe very weird to turn out to formal English when just in a easy talking conditions.Can you imagine this situation that I text to one of my new friend as " I inform you that ....".They laugh at me for weeks.:lol:.I come from china and been there for my family reason.To say frankly,It is not a easy thing for me setting down there quickly and I need more friends who like fishing or crossing culture.I need to suit to Aussie accent and it is hard to me at first.As I say above I am very like all kinds of culture.And the near future thing is I wanna to buy a boat otherwise you at least have a waste of half life.Until now I only catch several catfish ,pike eel  and two nice bream which are all legal .I have my line break more than 8 times ,a frustrate moment.From that on I turn to some heavy gear with 40 lbs line and no bite at all,I dont know why. 

Hi Jun,

Welcome to the forum!

You will find a heap of information here: https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/rules-regulations

In and around Brisbane, you can try areas such as Bribie Island, Redcliffe, Brisbane River, and Cabbage Tree Creek, on the northside. I'll leave to others to discuss the south and east of Brisbane.

You will find that a 1-3 or 2-4 kg rod with 4-10lb braid or mono will handle most of the estuary species you are likely to encounter. As a general rule, lighter is better, although you need to take into account the structure you are fishing.

If you are on the north side, I'd be happy to take you out on the boat and show you around.

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 9:32 PM, Jun said:

Until now I only catch several catfish ,pike eel  and two nice bream which are all legal .I have my line break more than 8 times ,a frustrate moment.From that on I turn to some heavy gear with 40 lbs line and no bite at all,I dont know why. 

Hello Jun. Line breakage is pretty standard in view using light leaders (4lb and under) as if your hook gets snagged solidly your line will break if you pull on it no matter what type of special knot you use or your line breakage problem may be from bad knots which is normal if you are just starting out or even if you hook a big fish on light line/leader and you put force on it your line will snap nearly instantly I DO NOT recommend using any line over 8lb - 10lb though as the fish will see it (sounds silly but true) so avoid your 40lb outfit as much as possible when fishing.

My advice for stopping line breakage would be to learn how to tie knots perfectly and if you hook a fish let it take line when it wants and you won't have the line breaking problem as much.  

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 2:23 PM, Jun said:

I wanna to catch some live bait  for next fishing trip.I already know the prawn and poddy mullet can be good bait. Just wondering any other type of fish can used as live bait which have no size limit.

I'm not to much of a live bait fisher I prefer dead baits but you could try pike or herring as live-fish-bait as I don't no of any size limits but still worth a look on the fisheries website just to be sure. And to gather these fish herring in be caught in a cast next off jetties like woody point and you don't have to target pike they will find you if fishing small lures or baits for other fish, they are quite a menace when fishing for big bream nipping leaders clean off. But if you were to target them I think a 2" jerkshad lure fished across flats with some weed and rubble patches should get you in contact with a few can't guanatee you though that this will catch them it's just what I would try.

In the north Brisbane area for a newcomer there is heaps of spots but a few better ones would be on the pine river at deep water bend on one of the board walks which is at bald hills 25 mintues-ish north of the CBD, Kedron brook floodway at nudgee around the mouth near the jetty which is 25 minutes-ish north east of the CBD, and any of the jettys around Redcliffe will be fine as well as a few spots around brighton/sandgate/Shorncliffe foreshore area but the good spots are hard to find and are in isolated patches of 5m - 10m of shoreline but no willing to give exact locations away for the brighton/sandgate/Shorncliffe foreshore but here's a clue concrete wall adjacent to deep water and if you find that spot in the clue enjoy your whiting and bream feeds after most sessions.

Hope this helps, I tried to put as much info in my reply as possible and I know the last paragraph is a touch off topic but I wanted to give you head start to the area :) 

On 2/27/2016 at 8:02 PM, curranboy99 said:

Hello Jun. Line breakage is pretty standard in view using light leaders (4lb and under) as if your hook gets snagged solidly your line will break if you pull on it no matter what type of special knot you use or your line breakage problem may be from bad knots which is normal if you are just starting out or even if you hook a big fish on light line/leader and you put force on it your line will snap nearly instantly I DO NOT recommend using any line over 8lb - 10lb though as the fish will see it (sounds silly but true) so avoid your 40lb outfit as much as possible when fishing.

My advice for stopping line breakage would be to learn how to tie knots perfectly and if you hook a fish let it take line when it wants and you won't have the line breaking problem as much.  

I'm not to much of a live bait fisher I prefer dead baits but you could try pike or herring as live-fish-bait as I don't no of any size limits but still worth a look on the fisheries website just to be sure. And to gather these fish herring in be caught in a cast next off jetties like woody point and you don't have to target pike they will find you if fishing small lures or baits for other fish, they are quite a menace when fishing for big bream nipping leaders clean off. But if you were to target them I think a 2" jerkshad lure fished across flats with some weed and rubble patches should get you in contact with a few can't guanatee you though that this will catch them it's just what I would try.

In the north Brisbane area for a newcomer there is heaps of spots but a few better ones would be on the pine river at deep water bend on one of the board walks which is at bald hills 25 mintues-ish north of the CBD, Kedron brook floodway at nudgee around the mouth near the jetty which is 25 minutes-ish north east of the CBD, and any of the jettys around Redcliffe will be fine as well as a few spots around brighton/sandgate/Shorncliffe foreshore area but the good spots are hard to find and are in isolated patches of 5m - 10m of shoreline but no willing to give exact locations away for the brighton/sandgate/Shorncliffe foreshore but here's a clue concrete wall adjacent to deep water and if you find that spot in the clue enjoy your whiting and bream feeds after most sessions.

Hope this helps, I tried to put as much info in my reply as possible and I know the last paragraph is a touch off topic but I wanted to give you head start to the area :) 

Hey curranboy99,sorry not know ur name.

Thanks so much for ur info and I use 20 lbs or so leader line,make the reel a little bit loose (I dont know how to describe it just mean that hooked fish can drag line easily while reel do some turn around).I found other problem happened and smart fish drag hook away and they also go away left hook.As to not let fish run away quickly I tight the reel resulting in leader line broken ,which at first they dag line and reel turn around and then they broke leader line going away with hook still in mouth.I would follow your suggestion and give it a try .Hopefully next time I will show you my decent fish.:)

Archived