Bcf Shimano Sienna Spin Pack & Kato Lures

Hi Guys,

Saw this deal at BCF and just wanted some feedback regarding the Shimano Sonic Pro graphite spin rod and Sienna 2500FE spin reel. 

I'm catching bream in the Pine River and have a birthday coming up so would love to hear if this gear would suit plus comments regarding this rod and reel.

The pack is $99 and includes a set of Kato species specific lures. 

Thanks.

Lex

image.jpeg

You can expect 'only ok' for only 100 bucks for rod and reel! I don't have top end gear but my 'decent' rods and reels are more like 300 for a reel and 200-300 for a rod. If it wasn't worth spending that much on gear, no one would buy it and just buy things like the sienna combo. So you get what you pay for. I know I can't expect my reels to perform like top end reels because they are not. 

I don't rate the sonic pro rods very much, but have owned a sienna in the past which was a great entry level reel, so hard to ignore the price! At least the drag is relatively smooth. But again it is not comparable to something double its price. I would be wanting to spend at least 120 on reel and 130 on rod if you are expecting something half decent :). But if you end up going for the sienna combo I don't think you will be too disappointed if you aren't used to higher end gear. I doubt you'll find a better combo for that price!

Look for the price it is good. Of course there is better stuff out there, but not for $99 bucks.

To date my equal biggest bass is still on a $99 Shimano combo.

With the lures thrown in I would say go for it. Use it to hone your lure skills, abuse it and finally upgrade :)

Angus

I own a few sienna 1000 size reels and have had them for about 4-5 years. I've looked after them quite well, always cleaned and oiled them and only now are they starting to get a bit clunky and im wanting to upgrade them. like others have said, they are good if you look after them, but only for so long. I've caught legal snapper, sharks, flatties etc on them no worries at all.

If you want all-round use for estuaries, definitely get the 7' 2-4kg option with a 2500 size reel. You will have better feel and more fun than the heavier options if you are targeting whiting/bream/flathead/dart etc and if a bigger fish latches on you still have a chance if you play out the fish right. 

A lot of people use similar specs on small bullsharks, so obviously it will be fine for the bread and butter species without being overkill as well. 

Archived