Catching Snapper By Hand! Stradbroke Island

Angus

This is pretty awesome!

A mate of mine was renting our house at Straddy over the weekend and witnessed something cool. It was his first time over there and was asking me if this was normal. Damn I wish the answer was yes.

They were fishing on the north facing beach at Amity when a large school of snapper came up onto the flats from the Rainbow Channel. The school started doing large circles (which I understand is snapper spawning behavior). After a while some dolphins started carving into them forcing the snapper up onto the beach. They managed to hand grab a couple of recorded one such grab right from under the dolphins nose.

Talk about you had to be there!

Amazing but more common than you may think. Pretty sure that dolphins helping humans fish is a part of the stories of many indigenous peoples, including the aboriginal tribe on Straddie. It still happens in Brazil today, I think.

How privileged are your mates to have witnessed it first hand. Straddie is such a beautiful and amazing place.

On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 10:55 AM, Angus said:

This is pretty awesome!

A mate of mine was renting our house at Straddy over the weekend and witnessed something cool. It was his first time over there and was asking me if this was normal. Damn I wish the answer was yes.

They were fishing on the north facing beach at Amity when a large school of snapper came up onto the flats from the Rainbow Channel. The school started doing large circles (which I understand is snapper spawning behavior). After a while some dolphins started carving into them forcing the snapper up onto the beach. They managed to hand grab a couple of recorded one such grab right from under the dolphins nose.

Talk about you had to be there!

Hi angus. I am the bloke who caught well stole the snapper. I basically grew up on straddie and never have seen anything like it before. I have been told that it happened to my great uncle back in the 60's in a similar area but not positive.  Thanks for sharing the video. 

Archived