Brunswick River

Northside Chic

Hi guys

I'm camping next weekend at Ferry Reserve on the Brunswick River.  Just wondering if anyone can tell me if you can pump yabbies on low tide in the river or alternatively what other bait to use?  I will be taking soft plastics for flathead but thought I would fish for some whiting too.  Also has anyone fished from this location before?  I have a kayak but was debating whether I should just fish from the bank in front of the caravan park or whether it would be worthwhile to take the kayak?  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks

It is beautiful.

I am not sure about yabbies but any low tide sand bank is a good chance.

Last time I was down that way (which was not to long ago) we fished the mouth on the north side of the river. Did really well on flathead and my mate went back with his kids the next day and smashed the whiting.

It is a great river.

Angus

Agree with Angus. It is a beautiful spot. I am thinking about it as a retirement option. Camped there about 15 years ago and fished upstream mostly (in the boat). Didn't do that well but then found out there had been a massive fish kill from a chemical spill a few days earlier. I have been back a number of times since for day trips with my wife so not fishing, but have been stand up paddle boarding around the bridge area and have seen heaps of big whiting there so yabbies would be good. I just can't remember if we pumped any and if there were yabbie holes on those banks.

There is a very promising looking jetty and some good rock walls around the marina that might be worth a go as well. There is a very friendly guy in the bait and tackle shop who would be worth a visit for info and he usually has beach worms. Or you could pull a few yourself if you have that skill. Or pick up pippies off the beach.  

Hope this helps in some way.

Archived