4m+ Tinny Options

sax

Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade from my old 4.2m Dehaviland hull. The bilge is running virtually non stop to keep her afloat and after a few recent electrical problems that required quick thinking on the water I think I have had enough. 

I only want to buy the hull. I have a new trailer that will suit up to 4.3m and a solid little 30hp Tohatsu.

The problem I face is my outboard is a short shaft.

From my research, the bulk of modern hulls 4.1m+ size use a long shaft outboard.

The boat will be used all over the bay and will occasionally poke outside. For these reasons my preference is for high sides, a deep V hull and 4m+

If am looking for suggestions on brands and makes of hull that will suit my 30hp short shaft?

Thanks for the reply's.
Likely to spend around 2.5k - 3k on the bare hull.

I will do the drive around to various dealers and ask the question. 

Bit of a vague question, but do you think any of the manufacturers would put a short shaft transom on a hull that is usually long shaft? Or am I dreaming?

I don't know anything about short shaft motors mate but have you considered selling your motor and trailer if need be and buying a second hand boat/motor/trailer package if need be? If you have no luck getting a large enough hull it might be worth it, rather than settle for a smaller hull. Of course, you may just find what you are after but thought I'd mention it in case you don't. 

Ok, so if you want a  4.1 - 4.3 that is safe and strong enough with a deep hull for going out in the bay or offshore you simply won't find one suited to short shaft. 

I would be looking at either quintrex renegade, stacer outlaw or stessco catcher in the 4.3m sizes. All 3 of these options are good bay boats and strong enough to cop a little bit of chop. They are all deep and wide too so they are safe for their size at rest in a bit of chop or swell. 

I went for the renegade. Hands down rides the best out of the 3 with the blade hull. Cuts through chop like a bigger boat and is a very dry ride. But you won't get these for 3k. There's always compromise. You have to figure out how much bay work you want to do and work that around your budget. A cheap hull will crack a lot easier compared to the options I mentioned so it may pay off in the long run paying a bit more up front. Plus you will be getting a stronger and safer hull. 

But then there's 30hp so a lighter thinner hull would be more suited. 

I was in the same situation as you a couple of years ago. What did I do? Gave up on the idea of finding the perfect match because it was difficult and sold what I had, then went and chucked 22k on a brand new renegade 420 and 50hp yammy haha :D perfect  bay boat 

Thanks for that.
I do understand I am asking for something that is contradictory. Short shaft with a deep V is not a logical combination.

I am reluctant to sell my current setup as I wont get much for it simply because it looks so rough. Even though the individual components such as the motor and the trailer are very good. I am also reluctant to sell a boat that is verging on being a bit dicey considering the amount of water it takes on. Yes, I could sell each component and start again but it starts to become a real pain.

What I am now thinking is I may look to a hull with less of a deep V shape that will accommodate a short shaft - The trade off being ride quality in chop (though I hear modern hull design has improved this style of hulls ability to handle chop?)

or

I do a long shaft conversion on my Tohatsu 30hp / Swap for a long shaft model. 
I like the idea of the conversion as I know my outboard is well serviced and super reliable. Swapping may land me with a less cared for motor.

I really appreciate hearing peoples thoughts on this. It has helped me think through my options. 

Thanks 

After going to a dealer today, I think I am going to get the Seajay Angler 385

Slightly smaller than I wanted but the max hp for the hull is 25 and my de-restricted tohatsu (making it a 30hp) will push it along nicely very nicely. In fact I am sure it will scoot along.

I figured going a bit smaller but having the ability to move quickly out of harms way will make it good combo. Not having enough power is the most dangerous position to be in.

Does anyone have any experience with this hull?

From what I can tell they are the same design as the Magnum but a slightly lighter build.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the suggestion Doyley.

Just looked it up and I really like the look of the Horizon 400 Angler but it only seems to be in long shaft options.

The Stacer Seasprite 399 has also caught my attention. 

One concern is, most of the boats I have identified as suitable are 1.6mm hull thickness. I have noticed all the Dory 420, Seajay Magnum etc have thicker hulls. Usually 2mm min (Horizon 400 is 2mm also). Im not planning on jumping the thing but I do want it to be tough. Should I try to get a thicker hull?

If you look back at the age of your old Dehaviland hull and its thickness you see the newer models are far lighter in construction. They were a great hull IMO.

Personally I would always go the thickest option available in pressed hulls. The banging of the waves overtime flexes the aluminum and the metal can become 'work hardened'. An exaggerated example is when you bend an aluminum soft drink can back and forth on itself, the metal fatigues and ruptures/rips quite easy. 

Of course if money was no object we would all do things differently, but it is a major consideration in most peoples buying decisions. Buy the best you can afford and use it as designed and you should have no problems. Running a river estuary boat offshore as I did for a short time was only going to end in tears if I did not change boat or stopped going offshore.

It's always exciting to get a new boat. 

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the help already provided.

Sorry to re-start an old thread. 

After looking at virtually every brand under the sun in the 3.95-4.3m range and taking the advise from this board it looks like I am better to spend a little more and go a bit bigger.

The stand out at just over 4k is the Horizon Easy Fisher 4.15 - To be paired with a 40hp 2 stroke Merc Long Shaft

Below are the stats. It has 3mm bottom and 3mm sides, it is beamy and deep in comparison to anything else on the market at that size.

Final question. Does anyone have any experience with this boat in particular or Horizon in general?

Length Overall 4.15m
Length Bow to Transom 4.15m
Beam 1.95m
Depth 1.10m
Bottom Sheet 3.0mm
Side Sheet 3.0mm
Transom Long Shaft
Weight (boat only) 200kg
Horsepower Rec. 30hp
Horsepower Max 40hp
Max Transom Weight 110kg
Pax 4 ppl