After Work Hinze Saratoga

Glenn S

Hey Guys,

Haven't been reporting too much lately because i can't seem to catch anything decent! The last 4 or 5 sessions at hinze all I seem to be able to catch are the small bass that got stocked a year or 2 ago, they are everywhere at the moment! Anyway, now is the time of year I start to struggle with bass as the water starts pushing past 26 and up towards 30 degrees. The good news when the water warms (going by last years results) the toga come out in force! I managed to land this nice model in about a metre of water burning a bassman spinnerbait through the flooded grass. Hopefully i'll be getting a few more over summer :)

Cheers and tight lines, Glenn.

20161115_165452a.jpg

20161115_165552a.jpg

I reckon id trade in 15 hinze bass for a hinze toga, as soon as i hooked up this thing was a metre in the air, such an adrenaline rush! I really want to tick a cod off the list in hinze but that may take some time. Have been throwing around swimbaits with 30 pound leader with hopes of coming across one!

Cheers, Glenn

I did see a photo doing the rounds recently of a hinze mary that someone accidentally caught after it ate a bass he hooked. That was a few months ago. I have personally seen 2 myself. It tried to eat a bass under my kayak i hooked and the other followed my spinnerbait all the way to the boat. Both were easy 80cm. So i have some hope! They are indeed a cool fish!! @Angus     

Cheers, Glenn,

42 minutes ago, Glenn S said:

I did see a photo doing the rounds recently of a hinze mary that someone accidentally caught after it ate a bass he hooked. That was a few months ago. I have personally seen 2 myself. It tried to eat a bass under my kayak i hooked and the other followed my spinnerbait all the way to the boat. Both were easy 80cm. So i have some hope! They are indeed a cool fish!! @Angus     

Cheers, Glenn,

Another mate of mine @helibase has seen one as well. Watched it for ages in fact but it would not hit anything.

I got raped by an absolute monster of a saratoga last friday arvo, 20 pound leader stood no chance. Thing would of been 80cm was bloody huuuuge! I dead set thought it was a barra by the the width of it and size of its scales. Might have to start using 30 pound leader more often in hinze!!

cheers, Glenn.

On 11/18/2016 at 1:15 PM, Angus said:

Another mate of mine @helibase has seen one as well. Watched it for ages in fact but it would not hit anything.

Yes, that's true.

I came across this MRC about 3 years ago in one of the upper reaches of Hinze.

IMG_0871.PNG

I first saw it trying to eat a tandanus I just caught. 

I lost count how many times I went back trying to catch it with all the lures and bait I had.

The last time I went back I didn't even bother trying to catch it, I just watched it majestically patrol its pool.

Ian

Archived