Sat 3 Nov - Deep Water Bend

Cliffy

Been pestered by the Minister of War and the Treasury and daughter no. 2 to take them out fishing on the Jolly Roger for some time now, so finally relented and went out late Saturday afternoon. Put the Jolly Roger in at Deep Water Bend, took off under the Hornibrook Bridge and motored out to Mud Island in about 1.5m seas...got there just on sundown only to have daughter no. 2 announce that she was feeling seasick:X. \"Excellent\" I thought, \"that should berley up the fish a bit!\":evil:, so I kept the pointy end in a direction guaranteed to produce the maximum motion...unfortunately to no avail, as she refused to produce the goods although going a pleasant shade of green. Finally (after about an hour) got badgered into heading back to calmer waters, so picked up the hook and headed Hornibrook-bound.

Halfway back came across a group of yachties having some sort of race or night navigation exercise, pity no-one told half of them about the need for nav lights at night. Guess it gave me a chance to vent my spleen anyhow, also reckon I might have caused a bit more seasickness in a couple of other boats who seemed hell-bent on docking their yachts on top of my bait board :angry:.

Finally got back under the bridge and found a patch of promising-looking water, flat as a millpond and looking good for some flatties/whiting. Rods over the side, and within minutes the first reel started to scream :woohoo: - ten minutes later and we boated a (gets sarcastic and a bit twisted) beautiful 8 pound catfish :(. A couple of minutes later another reel went off - this time a 2-foor stingray (getting even more cynically sarcastic :unsure:)...and so the night went on, every 10 minutes or so another bl**dy vermin-fish. If they'd been snapper we'd have gone in after an hour with our bag limit :S. (Even more twisted) the young fella did it again, by the way - final tally: young fella 12 (assorted catties & stingers, plus 1 toadfish of mammoth propoartions; me zip, nada, zilch, nothing :blush:; wifey 1 catfish (Awww, aren't they cute? Look at the little fella's whiskers!:angry:); daughter no. 2 no fish, no berley, comments on lines of \"What do we do if a shark attacks the boat?\" (thoughts from Dad on lines of \"chuck her over the side as live bait\", etc). As always, better luck next time, eh?

STU: Too right mate, handn't actually considered the \"no-one but the Captain may fish\" issue!

Rocket: Thanks for the compliment, really REALLY like rule #1 - must find some way to implement that before the next trip!

Ray: I'm actually thinking of offering Viperon fishing charters, what d'you reckon?!

whatnow: Really doesn't seem to matter mate, this trip we were fishing 6 rods, 2 set up with ganged 4/0's, 2 set up with single 4/0's and 1/0 keepers, and the remaining two with long shank 2/0's. Pillies went on the gangs, half a pilly on one 4/0 rod and whole squid on the other, with squid strips on the 2/0's.

Archived