Local Fishing Spots-moreton Bay

OutRayJus

I am not an expert on these locations but some general advice on locations.

I think sometimes people can be a bit tight lipped with locations as afterall they may have worked hard to find them out. But advice on techniques, stratagies etc can be more forthcoming. Being species specific is also a big help.

For example many locations go by several names so although I don't know where lazaret gutter is, if you were chasing spotties I could send you in generally the right direction.

I usually ask for the latter and try my luck and apply some common sense to work out locations. 

Welcome to the site mate I hope this helps narrow down some info...

Angus

Lazaret's gutter is on the northern side of peel. Shark spit I think is on the north east corner of peel.

bit of advice... Get an old school chart of moreton bay and have a bit of a study of it. It'll give you an idea of where the banks are, islands, channels etc. It'll also show common names of areas so you can know where people are talking about too.

good luck and welcome to the site.

Shark Spit is over on the western side of Moreton somewhere in the general-ish (I haven't been over there) vicinity of the Sandhills. Seems to be a popular area to troll metal spoons (behind paravanes) for school mackerel. Lazarets Gutter is an inlet surrounded by shallow reef and if you learn the pattern (I've only fished it a couple of times) can produce snapper/squire, grassie sweetlip, squid, mackerel, etc.

I'm guessing you want to chase mackerel?

South of the Tangalooma wrecks, on the western side of Moreton Island, are two points. The northern one is Tangalooma point and the southern is Shark spit. Both are marked by yellow buoys that mark the shallow water around the spits. These are directly east of the four beacons, as Kelvin said, a good area for mackerel. 

Lazaret's gutter, as Ben said, is on the northern side of Peel Island. North of this is also good for mackerel. But beware as Lazaret's gutter and a good deal of the northern side of Peel Island is green zone. 

If you want a great mapping source, you cannot beat the Navionics tab on the fishandboat website. It's like have your GPS maps on your computer, giving you the ability to zoom and check out areas. 

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Keen to spend some time there on the  Blakesley's weekend :)

For sure, previous years reports from this area show mackerel, whiting, sand crabs and squire. I could spend all day, or at least trying to catch these, and just might.

Archived